Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Rear Brakes Squeal

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2016, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes Squeal

My car info is in my signature so check that out for all the vital info. The car has drums in the back. The rear brakes squeal, but only when I am stopping, and only during the very last few seconds right before the car come to a full and complete stop. I have done a bunch of things to eliminate the problem already. The first thing tried was I cleaned every rear brake component and then sanded the pads and the drum. This took care of the squeal, but only for a very short amount of time. The next thing I tried was to take everything apart, clean everything again, add lithium grease to the rear brake hardware, reassemble everything, and finally adjust the star wheel. After this I realized for the first time ever that my car has anti lock brakes. After I adjusted the star wheel the pedal did that anti lock pulse thing that a pedal from an anti lock system does when you stomp on the brakes. The only problem was the brakes squealed even more. After that a backed off the star wheel a bit. Now the anti lock doesn't engage when I lock em up, the squeal is not as bad as it was when the star wheel was pushed further out, but the car still squeals it is just about completely stopped. Now during the last few seconds before the car comes to a complete stop the brakes squeal so god awful loud.

I have a few thoughts on what might be causing this. The first thing I think is maybe the brakes need a good bleed? I have also noticed that the drums do not seem to fit perfectly snug on the backing plate studs until the wheel has been installed. Once the wheel has been installed the drum seems to snug up against the backing plate, but it has a bit of play in it when the drum is just fitted to the backing plate studs. Part of me thinks that perhaps the previous owner might have replaced some out of spec drums with new drums that were not the exact right ones. Does that make since? Would that cause the rear brakes to squeal only at the end of a stop? I just do not know what is causing this. The shoes have plenty of meat on them. I know the squeal is not from worn shoes. I am so frustrated with this. I am at the point where I want to just replace all the hardware, the shoes and the drums, but that would be pretty expensive for me. Hopefully someone will read this and will know what is going on.

Please help,

Jay