Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Thinking about buying a 86 monte carlo ss . HELP

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2015, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 86 monte carlo ss . HELP

Hi all Brand new to this forum!Browsing on craigslist and found a pretty clean 86 SS. I am new to this forum and this would be my first Chevy. I have a BMW but the maintenance costs are killing and forcing me to get something cheaper. Would it be a good idea to get this as a daily driver? I know virtually nothing about this car. Here is the link. IS the SS a reliable car? I can do some of the work my self but want a good solid car
link

https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5271952189.html
Old October 20th, 2015, 7:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

spend $100 for a mechanic to tell you what it needs...would be the best money you spend.

if you want a project go for it. Old cars like that; expect to put $2000 into it. My 2004 cost me $1000 and that doing the repairs myself and the parts at trade price.

It probably needs suspension, brakes, exhaust work. Gaskets will be leaky. if the tires are worn out, a lot of other maintenance probably is not done either.

IMO, its not cheap transportation, mileage will suck compared to a newer car. It will drive like a old car....loose. It is a cool looking car. Simple to fix.

It is definitely a car for someone who can perform their own repairs.