Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Strange engine noise.

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2009, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange engine noise.

Yesterday I drove to Manhattan and back for a gig. Basically it was 2 hours down, for the car to sit for 3 or 4 hours, to drive 2 hours back. Anyway, when I got closer to home I was at a toll and noticed a strange loud tap style noise coming from the engine, and it seemed the transmission was having trouble. So I pulled over and parked to check the noise. I opened the oil cap and some smoke came out, leading me to believe some oil was burning up. I'm told this is normal. Especially on long highway trips. Once I got back going again, the transmission acted just fine, and when I got home the noise had stopped.

I'm thinking it was a sticking lifter or valve, but I'm not sure. I've been driving real careful and a lot slower for fear that the engine is going to blow itself out. Today it started up fine and ran like normal with no abnormal noise and nothing different sounding from the engine.

What am I looking at here?
Old December 15th, 2009, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

id say check your transmission fluid... and your oil levels.. long trips can cause these to burn up and possibly cause some problems... if its a valve you maybe able to tell by the timing of the noise
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

I actually did those steps last week. Transmission fluid was the color it should be and not foamy, but the oil was about a quart low. Topped it off and the noise hasn't been an issue. Thank you.