Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Front end makes 'Popping' noise

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2009, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end makes 'Popping' noise

I have a noise in the front end of my 2000 Lumina, It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. I changed both strut cartrages, both top mounts, both ball joints, both outer tie rod ends. (the car has 250,000 miles on it so it was due 0_o ) I then had it aligned. The noise is still there, is there a front end tech out there who could advise me as to what to look for next?
Old December 11th, 2009, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

I forgot to say this noise only occurs when I turn the wheel.
Old December 15th, 2009, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

that noise is caused from your Intermediate Steering Shaft or your ISS.. it needs to be lubricated and possibly replaced... its fairly easy to lubricate and many people find that a simple lubrication may fix the issue... under your steering wheel there is a boot you can bring down to gain access to the ISS... you can use a spray lubricant like a silicone spray or white lithium grease with a straw tube to spray it into the area... this is a fairly common issue on the Wbody cars although GM never did a recall on it but I do know that GM's Technical Service Bulletin does call for replacement however like I said previously many people have found the problem has been fixed by simple lubrication of the joint
Old December 16th, 2009, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response.The Chilton manual does not show an Intermediate Steering Shaft on this car. When I finally had some help I discovered that the noise is coming from the spring on the strut, the lower mount is catching some how and when there's enough torque it finally releases and that's where the sound is coming from. That lower spring mount is supposed to turn on a bearing. I ordered the part and soon will have the complete strut assembly on the bench, oh fun oh joy. Happy Wrenchin' Guy's n Gal's and thank's for the awsome site. : D

Last edited by unboundtrucker; December 16th, 2009 at 7:28 AM. Reason: because I can