Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Thud when turning left.

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thud when turning left.

I recently, within the past week, noticed a thud sound when I turn hard left. I have no idea what it is or what it could be, as I am no mechanic. I had replaced the driver side ball joint about a month ago, but feel this is unrelated. I can cause the noise when parked by turning the wheel all the way to the left lock and turning it back to center. It doesn't make the noise when turning the wheel all the way to the right. When I'm driving it feels similar to hitting a small stone or ridge in the street, but I'm not hitting anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

Edit: I failed to mention that the steering is smooth. The power assist works properly, and there is no snag when turned from the left. The wheel is responsive as it should be. The car needs an alignment since the ball joint work. I just can't figure out what else would be causing the thud.

Last edited by metalmike187; October 6th, 2009 at 2:24 PM. Reason: Missing details.
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Taz
CF Beginner
MonteCarloForum Liaison

Not sure what year your car is, but the 2000+ Monte's have a common problem with the Intermittent Steering Shaft. Occasionally you get that clunking sound. Usually greasing it up (or getting it greased) takes care of it. Did with mine. But it's starting to come back. Time to get mine done again soon.
Old October 13th, 2009, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

It's a 1995 with the 3.1L engine. I'm not sure it has an intermittent shaft, as those I think were only on the 3.4L engines. It comes and goes, which is weird. I tried WD-40 on the Tie rod, Tie Rod end, CV, Drive Axel, and anything else in the vicinity.
Old October 13th, 2009, 6:59 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the tie rod or anything near that, the ISS is the connection that comes out of the firewall from the steering wheel area then it connects to the rack & pinion. I am not familiar with the Monte carlos ISS location, it may even be above your gas & brake pedal inside the vehicle. I am sure someone here can verify that.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; October 13th, 2009 at 7:06 PM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thud leaving, new enging noise though.

I got what you're saying. I was thinking of a totally different component. Anyway...the noise comes and goes now, and seems to be less and less. Which I'm happy with.

I have a new problem now though. Last night I drove to Manhattan and back for a gig. Anyway, when I got closer to home I was at a toll and noticed a strange thud or loud tap noise coming from the engine, and it seemed the transmission was having trouble. So I pulled over and parked to check the noise. I opened the oil cap and some smoke came out, leading me to believe some oil was burning up. I'm told this is normal. Especially on long highway trips. Once I got back going again, the transmission acted just fine, and when I got home the noise had stopped.

I'm thinking it was a sticking lifter or valve, but I'm not sure. I've been driving real careful and a lot slower for fear that the engine is going to blow itself out. Today it started up fine and ran like normal with no abnormal noise and nothing different sounding from the engine.

What am I looking at here?
Old December 15th, 2009, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

GM has a technical service bulletin out on the Intermediate steering shaft (ISS) that they never did a recall on.. I know its an issue for the newer Wbody's but I'm not so sure on the 95's but its most likely the issue since ive heard its been a GM problem for years now... its pretty easy to do.. theres a boot under the steering wheel and you can get a can of spray grease with a straw tube and spray it in there... i used white lithium grease in mine but silicone spray works fine (although WD40 might be a little thin)
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this issue. It turns out it was a bad balljoint replacement. The old one wore out, and I had it replaced. It wasn't replaced right, which whacked out my alignment. Anyway...got it done right and the alignment is better and the noise is gone.