Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

65' 283 questions

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2015, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65' 283 questions

I'm new to this board, so bear with me. I've got a 65 nova sedan with a 230 inline 6. A buddy of mine has a 65 impala he's using for a parts car and he gave me the 283 out of it, which I intend to go through and put into my nova. Now, I know that a 283 could be bought in a nova in 65. So will this 65 283 out of the impala drop right in? Both cars have powerglide trannys. But I want to be sure the motor mounts are in the right place and such.
My other question is about the intake manifold. the pre 1969 motors had the oil filler tube on the front of the manifold.if possible I'd like to keep it on the engine, i think it looks cool. Does this mean my intake manifold options are limited? I know edelbrock makes one with the hole in it, but I'd like to put a high rise dual quad of some sort, I was thinking about the pro comp air gap high rise but I'm not sure if they make one with the provision for the oil tube. And if not, could I machine the filler tube hole into it? If not can I still bolt it on without any leaks, As long as I add a PVC somewhere right? Any info is appreciated!
Old July 6th, 2015, 10:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine should drop right in, you will have to get different motor mounts, the mounts you currently have are wider than the mounts for a V8.

There are a few different aftermarket intake manifolds you can get, but the option of having the oil filler tube might limit you, I suggest that you start your search at Summit or Jegs.

Are you planning on restoring the car for show, daily driver or hot rod?
Old July 6th, 2015, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was actually my winter car this past year, it's got body rot but it's solid underneath. My buddies call it the snowva hah! It's bassicly a rat rod but I'm going to make it a nice driver. I'm thinking about upgrading the front suspension to tubular control arms and eliminating the strut rods.
As for the intake manifold, another friend of mine gave me his intake for nothing, I just gotta help him wire brush the frame on his k10. It appears to be a stock gm intake manifold. Not sure what year it is but it has the oil filler tube hole, and it's a medium rise 4 bbl I'd say. So that'll do fine for now with the edelbrock carb.
Old July 6th, 2015, 9:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a good project going. Personally I cannot understand why the cars now have all the stuff on them. My 95 C1500 is enough for me, it's paid for and sure it needs repairs now and then but I can do them myself and that gives me satisfaction. In the future I plan on taking the TBI unit off and putting a carb with vortec heads and HEI ignition just old school.