Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

Replacement engine, auto trans for 62 Nova Convertable

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2017, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement engine, auto trans for 62 Nova Convertable

I have had my friend’s 1962 Chevy II Nova convertible in my barn since 1993. When it went in to the barn he was concerned that we might sell our farm so he asked me to promise to let him keep it there until December 31, 1999. It’s still there. He got it in 1963 and drove it well into the 1980’s. He intended to restore it. He is now 70 years old and has no time or space to work on a car. I have given up on him ever picking it up and restoring it, but I know he’d love to have it running. I’m told it has a Chevy 194 engine and a standard two-speed transmission. That sounds like very little power for a heavy car like that. I’m also told the block has a crack from freeze damage which may or may not be repairable. I’d like to fix it up and deliver it to him so he can enjoy it. If I were to put a more powerful engine and automatic transmission (plus air conditioning) would that be considered destroying the car? If not, what engine and transmission would you all recommend and why? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 7:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

My first car was a 1963 Chevy II Nova convertible with the same 194 and powerglide transmission. It was not a heavy car and had pretty good power. What shape is the body in? Mine had rust problems on the bottom of the doors. What are you looking to do with it? Do you want to just make it a daily driver? If so, I would put in a 4.3 V6. That would would be plenty of power and performance for that car. Post some pictures!!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Oldchevy,

Thanks for the post. I didn’t realize the two speed was an automatic transmission, but that makes a lot more sense that a two speed standard transmission. If the 194 had plenty of power, I guess the first step in to see if it is savable. The body looked good when it went into the barn. The convertible top looks bad, but there’s a shop in the area that does those. He had it painted while he was restoring it, but says there is rust in a part of the front passenger floor that is part of the unibody frame. I assume any competent body shop would be able to fix that. It is on blocks and covered with tarps. I expect there would be mouse damage.

He doesn’t drive that much anyhow, but I would expect it would be used for day trips rather than as a daily driver. I haven’t asked him, as I would like it to be a surprise. Right now, this is just an idea that I’m just starting to look at. I have several other projects consuming my time and hope to farm out as much as possible without breaking the bank. My sister had a 1964 Chevy II as her first car that stayed in the family for many years.
Old January 12th, 2020, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
My first car was a 1963 Chevy II Nova convertible with the same 194 and powerglide transmission. It was not a heavy car and had pretty good power. What shape is the body in? Mine had rust problems on the bottom of the doors. What are you looking to do with it? Do you want to just make it a daily driver? If so, I would put in a 4.3 V6. That would would be plenty of power and performance for that car. Post some pictures!!
I have a 63 chevy11 and i am trying to do away with my 194 and try to put in a larger motor without having to change the front subframe can you tell me what would do the trick and what size motor thank you 63 chevy 2.... 4door sedan

thank You
jim from NJ
Old January 13th, 2020, 7:36 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The 1965 Chevy II Nova was the same body style and and was available with the 283 and the 327 V8 engines. So the 1963 should be able to accept a small block with a minimal amount of changes. I did not do this.
Old March 18th, 2020, 5:43 AM
CF Beginner

You would need sub-frame connectors .."WELDED" in to connect front to back frame rails...
They do sell a cross member frame that goes under the front frame below the motor...So you will need a special oil pan specifically for this year car to get the clearance.... You do not want to use the "original" oil system with the reverse pan ..that is a mess of a job...
Finally you would get the V8 SBC motor mount conversions kit...
If you elect to not install the extra framing...you will twist the body and crack the windshield and door wont close properly...