Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

Vortec Conversion on 1970 Nova

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2016, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec Conversion on 1970 Nova

Hi all, I've had a Nova sitting around for about 3 years now with an '84 350 4 bolt main in it. We got it as a block and it's just too time consuming and expensive for my dad and I to build the block up from scratch, considering we'll be getting a new engine in a few years. My buddy offered me a Vortec 350 and I'm wondering what I need to get it in the Nova.

From what I understand, the block should bolt to the motor mounts already installed for the current block, correct? Other then that, I know I need a carbureted intake that will fit a vortec and an electronic fuel pump. Currently I have a points cap distributor with an electronic ignition but I am assuming this won't work? If it won't, I have an HEI distributor, but I need some guidance on how to hook it up.

With all of that said, I currently have an Edelbrock aluminum intake on the '84 block. What are the chances it will bolt to the vortec?

Now for the tranny. I have a 350 turbo trans that's bolted to the '84 block. Can I just swap it to the vortec with no problems?

Thanks for any help I can get, and sorry for posting an obviously already answered question. I just couldn't find a thread organized enough to follow from scratch.

UPDATE: the block code is 4010207 (no 1 in the beginning?). Trying to find the part number for the edelbrock performer intake. Here is a picture of the intake and the block code.

Last edited by zfollette; August 12th, 2016 at 2:29 PM.