Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1963 chevy wagon brake light issues

Old February 22nd, 2008, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1963 chevy wagon brake light issues

Hi folks,figured I would attempt my quest here.
I have a 1963 chevy wagon.
the left side brake light will not come on when the brakes are applied. It does however work fine when the lights are on and the turn signals are activated. but it never comes on for the brakes. the right side is just fine..works great..but not the left. i am going insane. what can be the problem...somebodly please help me. thanks.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1963 chevy wagon brake light issues

It could be an open in the circuit. Take the bulb out and use a DVOM put on Ohms and see if there is any risitance in ther wire. Or hook up a test light to the connector. Check with some other guys as well.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 5:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 1963 chevy wagon brake light issues

I looked at awiring diagram for a 63 chevy, I don't know if the brake lites are wired the same for all models that year. On alot of applications, the brake lites are wired throught the turn signal switch. The turn signal and brake lite use the same bulb filament, just not at the same time. When you move the indicator for left or right turn, it creates an open in the brake circuit, that way only the turn signal will use that filament. If the turn signals work on the left side, then the circuit from the turn signal switch to the back, should be ok.

The problem may be with the turn signal switch?
Old November 20th, 2009, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

your post was a while ago but in case i think that the one about your directional signal is a good guess. I have a 64 c10 and had the same problem more or less. after way to long of changing fuses and poking myself with a tester it was contacts ion the directional signal harness. you need to take off the steering wheel and pull it out. all i had to do was clean mine off tweek a couple pieces of copper and it was set. once it's off you'll figure out how it works.
Old February 4th, 2011, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tail lights..

Hay thire i have a 1963 wagon two, had the same prob. I re wired the hole wagon it was the blinker switch in the column. Your better off buying a new one . The cars very old . Try that boss.