Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1995 Chevy G30 Extended Sport Van - Won't Turn Off - Help!

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2012, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1995 Chevy G30 Extended Sport Van - Won't Turn Off - Help!

Hopefully someone can help me....

I have a 1995 Chevy G30 Extended SportVan 5.7L V8 converted to a Roadtrek 190 RV. Anyway, pulled up to a gas station, put it in park, turned off the engine - everything seemed OK. However, I went to start it back up again - less than 20-minutes later - nothing happened. The key wouldn't turn in the ignition and I couldn't move the gear lever - the steering wheel wasn't locked either and I had my foot on the brake pedal. Anyway, after some turning of the steering wheel and some slight rocking of the vehicle back and forwards - I got the engine to start and go into gear. Great I thought - all fixed - until I got to my destination, that is!

When I got to my destination, I stopped the vehicle, put it into park, and went to turn off the engine! It wouldn't turn off - I couldn't move the key in the ignition to the off position not matter what I tried and I couldn't remove the key! I disconnected the battery, it still wouldn't turn off. In the end I removed the ignition fuse and the engine died but I still can't remove the key!

Any idea what the problem could be? Could it be a problem with the ignition cylinder, the ignition switch or something else? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.