Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

94 G20 Towing Capacity???

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2016, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 G20 Towing Capacity???

We've just got a mint condition G20 conversion van that is in excellent condition both mechanically and cosmetically. We would like to buy a camper and use this van for trips, but we can't seem to find the towing capacity anywhere online or in books. We have even called several dealerships and even they can't find the information. I know the GVWR on the van is 6600, but I can't find the GCWR which is the maximum combined weight of the van plus whatever its towing. Anybody got any ideas? It's a 5.7L engine with an air cooler already installed, although it didn't come factory with a hitch. The hitch was installed just a few years ago and I know we will need to upgrade it to at least a class 2 or 3 depending on what we tow. We've also already installed an electronic braking system for it. We have found several campers we really like, but we aren't sure if we can pull their weight without finding this info first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old July 19th, 2016, 2:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't find anything specific...

But you can bet that most all of the 1/2 ton rides will pull about 7000 lbs.
Of course you need to keep your tongue weight plus load/passengers totally below 1000 lbs.
So whatever type Hitch/receiver you get, make sure it goes to 10,000 lbs or more.
Just to be safe.

Here's a Wiki that may give you some info...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Van#1994

Last edited by SWHouston; July 19th, 2016 at 2:19 PM.
Old September 26th, 2016, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 94 gmc 1500 has a 5.7 350 in it and its about 8000 gross vehicle weight. so it should be around the same maybe a little more. towing compacity is just a recommendation ive pulled 14,000 with my half ton
Old September 27th, 2016, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, you can move quite a bit with our rides, but...
Over the long run, excessive GTW's like you mentioned can take a toll on the drive train. It's better to keep along with what's recommended.