Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevy G20 Van Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2007, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy G20 Van Electrical Issue

I have a 1993 Chevy G20 Conversion van, 177k, 5.7 V8. Runs great for the mileage.

A couple of months ago, the DW called when she was leaving from a friends and said the Electric Windows wouldn't work, the Speedometer wasn't working, the AC/Heat Fans weren't working and the ABS light was on. I had no clue where to start, but figured something in common was causing this. Drove over and then drove the 5 long miles back as the transmission was put in 'limp home' mode. While driving it home, the SES light came on and the code was that it couldn't sense the speed.

I got it home, checked the fuses and everything seemed to be fine. I managed to wiggle this big black module at the bottom of the fuse block and for some reason everything came back to life. This happened a couple of times over the past few months and each time, my remedy was to jiggle this black module.

Well this happened again this weekend and no matter how much I jiggle the black module, I can't fix the problem. It does have a number on it, GM has discontinued it, not available anywhere. I wrote the manufacturer and they say that that module is just a tone alarm and has nothing to do with my issues. I did manage to take it apart and determine that some moisture had caused a little rust/corrosion on the inside.

So, if it's not this module, what would cause all of the above to quit working at the same time and is somehow connected at the fuse block?

Danny

Old September 20th, 2007, 6:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Chevy G20 Van Electrical Issue

Your probablynot going to like it but it sounds like typical fuse box corrosion. The fuse panel is mounted to the firewall and on the under hood side it attached to the wiring harness by one bolt in the middle of the block. Remove the center bolt and pull the harness off. Don't worry it won't fall apart. Look for corrosion where the connectors plug in.
If the harness or fuse block are corroded you might end up bypassing the blockand running a jumper wire through the firewall.
Old September 24th, 2007, 6:33 AM
CF Beginner

I took that fuse block apart yesterday before actually reading your post, having traced it to possibly being there. It was a little late in the day, so I didn't see any corrosion but will take a look at it in better light. It looked to be clean but will know more later.

I do know that on the fuse block inside, I can use my meter and do know that there is one vertical row that does not seem to be getting power so this tells me that either that fuse block is suspect or there is an issue with a fuseable link.

Danny

Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Still fighting this bug. Here's what I know. Took the fuse block apart and sprayed it with electrical cleaner and used a points file to make sure the sockets were clean of corrosion. I didn't see any present on the inside or outside. I re-assembled it and of course tried it again with the same results of the various items not working.

I got my meter out and began checking fuses and connections. I am not getting power to the fuses that control the items that aren't working. Thinking that it might be a fusible link, I then took them from the distribution area inside the engine compartment and traced them 1 by 1 to the point where they enter the fuse block and the 2 that go directly there provide power to the fuse block as expected. I have no idea where the other 2 go.

So, I suppose the question is, where else would you look to find where power is provided in 1 place to all of these elements? I'm still tracing things, but not having luck so far.

danny
Old March 9th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

I have '95 Chevy G20, I had issues with that black module also, had a mech just yank the bastard. like the seat belt buzzer would not ever go off ever. Should be OK to just yank it .. seems it got corroded on it's own, - and for 95 model on back, no consequences to just croak it and leave it gone. I have to be sure to turn off lights and such on my own since then, but I'm cool with that. Don't like an idiot buzzer anyhow ..
Old July 24th, 2019, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1992 Chevy G20 Van

The electrical harness above the battery on my van melted and I'm having a hard time trying to find a replacement. I have called multiple wrecking yards and have been searching online. Does anyone know what I can do?
Old April 26th, 2020, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Stormyskys
The electrical harness above the battery on my van melted and I'm having a hard time trying to find a replacement. I have called multiple wrecking yards and have been searching online. Does anyone know what I can do?
did you find a replacement wiring harness for your van
Old April 26th, 2020, 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Stormyskys
did you find a replacement wiring harness for your van
Old May 20th, 2021, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Hey there. I have a similar issue. DO you know where I could find a replacement box? thanks!
Old July 6th, 2021, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards
Hey there. I have a similar issue. DO you know where I could find a replacement box? thanks!
You could check out Painless Performance for wiring harnesses and fuse blocks.

Quick Reply: Chevy G20 Van Electrical Issue