Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

Chevy Optra 2005

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Optra 2005

2WD
no idea on engine size
4-door
other info that might be vital... ask me, I'm not sure

My problem is: I bought the car used 3 years ago. That will teach me. During those 3 years, the following has happened FIVE times. I will be at a full stop with my foot on the brake, and suddenly, the RPM's race up to over 5K, and it wants to jump forward into the trunk of the car in front of me. This has happened at a drive-through four times, and in a parking lot once. I have not noticed any trouble of this nature while driving. My remedy is to immediately put the car in neutral and listen to the engine race and then die down to the rate it should be (less than 1K), and of course panic a bit.

It has happened in all conditions... winter cold with the engine cold and hot, summer heat with the engine cold and hot.

I have taken it to my regular mechanic. The first time they cleaned the throttle, but said the scope did not read anything. The second time they said the throttle was clean, that there was nothing they could do, to take it to the dealership. The dealership told me the scope and the computer did not have any details, and there was nothing they could do for me.

So now, at stoplights, I stay a car length back, and if it is a long wait, I put the car in neutral. On the highway, I am always at least two car lengths back, just in case.

But this is no way to "live".

And I can't even sell the darned thing, it would be dreadful if something awful happened to the unsuspecting buyer.

Any thoughts?
Old March 30th, 2012, 4:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The ECM may need to be reprogrammed with a revised calibration. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information after an inspection of the vehicle.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old April 27th, 2012, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks so much for posting, Louis, I do appreciate your help.

First I will mention that this "behaviour" has happened again, making a total of SIX incidents.

Be that as it may, I finally got to the dealership yesterday, and gave them a printout of our conversation, which they have attached to my maintenance file. They again could not find anything on the scope, but took your advice, and reprogrammed the ECM. They had no additional information for me, except of course that they hoped that would be the fix. Me too!

Now it's a waiting game, to see if that did the trick.
Old April 27th, 2012, 3:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> billthedog082,

Thank you for sharing. I hope the reprogram fixes the problem.

Please keep me posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Just checkin' in... still no new incidents! Yours was excellent advice.
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

i have Optra 2006, I have an issues on my aircon, when I open the aircon the compressor won't run but the fan run from 1 to 4,

history before it run at no. 4 the I return the switch to 1, now it won't run even I try to go first at no. 4, please help. thanks.
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default New problem with Chevy Optra 2005

Well, hi, me again. Who can believe I am still driving that car, it's 10 years old now, with 208,000 km on it, and I can still go to Ottawa from Niagara and back again for around $100. The ECM recalibration was still the ultimate fix for the first problem in this thread, thanks! Here is something new:

When driving, I turn on the lights, and they turn on just fine. When I turn on the highbeams, they turn on just fine as well. When I turn off the highbeams, all the lights shut down. So that I can drive further without causing an accident, I have to stop the car, turn it off, and start it again. Then when turned on, the lights work just fine again.

My mechanic muttered something about slow relays or something, and then said he needed to research it some more. So I thought, what a great idea, so will I!

Any suggestions?
Old October 22nd, 2016, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> The ECM may need to be reprogrammed with a revised calibration. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional information after an inspection of the vehicle.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
hi! Do you have a copy of a wiring diagram of a optra5 2004, i just want to check the wiring before i will replace the sensor in the power steering pump or to diagnose at the dealer. Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2023, 9:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

You folks are responding to an OLD thread. But here's my response:

Originally Posted by TWard
Don't keep putting refrigerant in because you're wasting your money and could be doing more damage than good to your system. Take it to someone who can diagnose.
This.

Someone put "three cans of coolant" in; I sure hope that "coolant" (refrigerant) did NOT contain any sealer chemicals or you may have destroyed the system. Most likely if adding from cans, that person was not an AC professional. Three cans would mean massively low, and a pro is required to fix leaks before adding refrigerant.
Old May 27th, 2023, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

@Cusser
the post before yours is dated 2016. YOU are reviving old threads.

Quick Reply: Chevy Optra 2005