Paint, Body, & Interior Getting resprayed? Want to discuss body modifications? What about your carpeting and upholstery? This is the place for it!

'09 Tahoe....police wheels or skins? Pics

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2009, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Tahoe....police wheels or skins? Pics

I just "traded in" my '05 Malibu police car for this '09 Tahoe. The truck is absolutely bad *** and I love it. Here's the problem: I will be driving the Tahoe all over the place, both on duty and off, and I don't want the attention of a police car. The Malibu looked absolutely nothing like a police car and was super discreet, and I got quite accustomed to that. The Tahoe came with the typical black wheels with chrome center caps and it screams police car. Here's my three options: leave the truck as is and deal with it, buy a used set of Silverado wheels out of my own pocket and have them swapped out (they must be the 17x7.5 ones), or use the plastic skins. I picked up a set of skins today for $50 and slapped them on the left side. Apparantly they're designed for the original center cap, so the police center cap doesn't stick out far enough to fill in the void, but I can always grab a used set on Ebay.

I KNOW the black wheels look bad ***, that's not the question. The question I guess is do the existing skins look like crap? Is it worth getting factory chromies? For some reason there's a newer Silverado at work with the skins and you can't tell they're not chrome without looking up close. Here's some pics of the new truck:
Name:  TahoeBlack2.jpg
Views: 8470
Size:  97.9 KBName:  TahoeChrome.jpg
Views: 8944
Size:  73.0 KB
Name:  TahoeBlack.jpg
Views: 12202
Size:  91.3 KBName:  TahoeChrome2.jpg
Views: 3494
Size:  75.6 KB
Old August 7th, 2009, 9:39 AM
CF Junior Member

I'd leave it as is....looks good, and still "blends in"......you aint near Pensacola, are you?.....j/k
Old August 11th, 2009, 2:28 PM
Ride of the Month
September 2009

the black rims def....... just my opinion though
Old August 16th, 2009, 2:43 AM
CF Junior Member

I think the Chrome skins look pretty darn good. I wouldn't pocket out the money for the Chevy rims just yet. Give the skins a try and keep them clean, you might just be suprised at your results. Good thing you aren't from around here, looks to sunny where you live hehe. Plus, my town is broke and can't afford uniforms, let alone under covers. J/k, but not about living in a broke town lol.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

I've been rolling with the skins for a while and they're doing ok. Even with the discrepancy in the center cap, most don't even notice that they're skins. One of the units at work tried to say that the truck was ordered for them, and said "We ordered one with chrome wheels, and yours is the only one with them, so that's ours." Retards.
Old August 29th, 2009, 11:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats pretty much what I have on my Silverado. They came from a 08 Silverado base model. I didn't like them when they had the General Ameritracs on them, but he BFGs make the rims look better.
To be honest, I'd stay with the Black and I'd put re-balance and put the weights on the inside.
Old August 31st, 2009, 1:54 AM
CF Beginner

I was going to simply paint the weights black if I didn't use the skins.
Old September 1st, 2009, 3:42 AM
CF Beginner

sent you a pm wakko
Old April 25th, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Hey where can I find those black police rims with the chrome center cap my suburban would look great with those
Old April 25th, 2010, 11:20 PM
CF Beginner

Order the police package.

Quick Reply: '09 Tahoe....police wheels or skins? Pics