Paint, Body, & Interior Getting resprayed? Want to discuss body modifications? What about your carpeting and upholstery? This is the place for it!

Factory Wheel Cleaning Methods

Old January 24th, 2015, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Wheel Cleaning Methods

I have the factory finished GM wheels on my 03 Z71 Tahoe.

I haven't been able to get them looking like new in years.

I usually clean them with purple stuff and a bristle brush. This has always worked fairly well, but there are a few stubborn spots typically in corners and crevices that just will not go back to a factory new look with this method.

I assume I need to do some type of polishing with an abrasive compound of some type to really bring these wheels back to a like new clean but I've always been hesitant as I'm not sure what is safe for the finish that GM puts on these wheels.

I'd had a hard time finding information on the finish they use and safe methods to really clean it.

I also have a few scratches on the face of one wheel from getting stuck years ago that I would like to attempt to repair.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with either item I would be very appreciative.

-cerobbins
Old January 25th, 2015, 2:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 506 Likes on 466 Posts

I had brown brake dust discolouration on my rims that I could not remove. Scrubbing methods were tested in small area but left marks. A detailer at work used a diluted acid etching solution designed for cleaning rims. She power washed the rims, sprayed on the solution and let it sit for 1 minute. The rim was wiped off with a rag and then power washed off. Show room condition when done.
Old July 9th, 2015, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually use Chemical guys diablo wheel cleaner with daytona brush to clean it perfectly. For tough stains I use Megs wheel cleaner but depends on the wheel finish.