Paint, Body, & Interior Getting resprayed? Want to discuss body modifications? What about your carpeting and upholstery? This is the place for it!

How To----Oxidized Headlights

Old March 24th, 2008, 6:19 PM
Former Moderator
Honorably Retired Member of Staff

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How To----Oxidized Headlights

Hey everyone.

I was bored and decided this weekend to concentrate on detailing my 99 Sonoma. I noticed that the headlights were pretty cloudy and decided to make a How To on how to clear up those oxidized headlights.

Materials Needed -
800 Grit Wet Sandpaper Cost 3.50
1000 or 1200 Grit Wet Sandpaper Cost 3.50
2000 Grit Wet Sandpaper Cost 3.50
Water Cost Unknown
Meguiar's PlastX Cost 3.96

Total 14.46 (Estimate) Prices may vary.
Time = 10 to 25 minutes per light. Depending on level of oxidation and how well you want to lights to look.

First its better if you remove the light assembly from your car. That way you don't have to worry about overshooting and scratching your paint.

Step One - The key for this to work right is to keep the surface wet, so you want to have running water on the light at all times. I found out if I put it in the sink and get the light wet and turn it on low so a small stream is hitting it you get faster results.

*IMPORTANT* DO NOT USE A BELT SANDER / ELECTRIC SANDER. It will cause little circles etched in the light and you will have a bad day.

Step Two - With the water still on the light take your 800 grit sand paper and with an identical continuous motion (preferably the length of the light). You will notice a bad smell and white residue come from the light. Thats just the oxidized plastic. You want to do this for a awhile till the light looks pretty clear and its smooth.

Step Three - Now you want to do the same thing in step to with the 1000 or 1200 grit sandpaper. This will start to smooth out the scratches that were implemented with using the rough grit paper. After done for awhile you want to dry off the light and see how clear it looks. The clearer the better, its ok if it still looks cloudy.

Step Four - Now you want to take the 2000 grit and do the same as step two and three. This will smooth out the light. Dry and check your progress to get the best results.

Step Five - The light still wont look perfectly clear but will be pretty clear. Now you want to apply a generous amount of the PlastX onto the light in a swirling motion. Let it sit for about a minute and remove the residue. Repeat 2 to 3 times for best results. Now your light should look pretty darn close to new.

Now this light will stay pretty clear but it if starts clouding up, go ahead and apply a coat of PlastX.

Hope this helps you guys out.

**Written by TheBrettster from BlazerForum.com**
Old April 10th, 2008, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To----Oxidized Headlights

also you could do what i do and buy comet and wax and buffit off if you mix them together it will do the same thing
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:18 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: How ToOxidized Headlights

Toothpaste works also
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Default RE: How ToOxidized Headlights

Soft Scrub works too
Old August 30th, 2009, 7:28 PM
CF Active Member

3M anti swirl buffing compont and a buffer with foam pad at low low speed keep it wet takes just a minute and you wont have to worry about it for another two years hell i buff the scratches out of my glasses with the stuff crystal clear cant beat their products
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:02 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Hello,
I just used Turtle waxing rubbing compound and then polishing compound (2x each) and it worked great.

Thanks,
Buenos
Old February 26th, 2012, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default oxidized headlights

Originally Posted by 99 silverado
also you could do what i do and buy comet and wax and buffit off if you mix them together it will do the same thing
I found this to be a great tip. I tried it, using a wet terry cloth and lots of comet cleanser ( the stuff you use to clean bathroom ) and rubbed over the lense, using some elbow grease. Then I rinsed off, dried, then applied auto car wax. My headlights look brand new! I could not belive my eyes. My car looks 7 years younger! Thanks for this great tip, 99 Silverado

Last edited by R David Anderson; February 26th, 2012 at 6:39 PM. Reason: to include name of original poster
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Toothpaste works also
Old July 11th, 2013, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Hello,

You can even clean the headlights with the help of tooth paste. Its very easy way to clean the headlights.
Old June 16th, 2014, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

I tried the toothpaste once, it worked well but not as I expected. Do I need a specific toothpaste?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To----Oxidized Headlights