Paint, Body, & Interior Getting resprayed? Want to discuss body modifications? What about your carpeting and upholstery? This is the place for it!
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

How to Paint Wheels (Pics & Details)

Old February 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Paint Wheels (Pics & Details)

Hey everyone,
Was searching for some information on how to paint your wheels and came across this write up below, I will be doing this to my wheels on my Tahoe and figured this information may benefit some members here on this forum. After I paint my wheels I will update with personal pictures with my Tahoe.
Mods, please let me know if this is not the right place to post these things, if not I will delete.
Thank you and enjoy.
-deejayrock
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick how to of painting your wheels:
Bought 4 Duplicolor Semi-Gloss Black 500degree engine paint. None of the stores nearby had the black wheel paint in stock. I also bough 2 of the primer and 2 packets
of the 320grit sand paper, and 2 rolls of painters tape.

1. Cleaned the wheels and tires to get off any road tar, brake dust, and other junk on there. I used simple green since i had a large bottle of it still laying around in my garage. The more you clean off, the better the chances your paint will stay on there longer. Don't forget to also clean off any grease/armor all thats on your tires. If you don't your painters tape will not stick on the tires.

2. Scuff up the surface of your paint with the 320 grit sand paper. I tried the fine metal wire cup brush but it was leaving too many deep scratches for my taste so I just hand sanded the entire wheel.

3. Tape up the edges of the wheel to prevent overspray from getting to your tires. Small 4” strips typically worked best for me as that didn't force me to try and bend the tape to the edges. Then tape up the rest of the tire with more tape and newspapers.

4. Wipe down entire wheel with a clean cloth and acetone. This gets rid of any dust and oils left on the wheel. Oil + paint wheel = peeling.

5. Find a well ventilated area that has minimal amounts of dust particles in the air and start with the primer. Spray super light coats at first. I sprayed about 3 light coats of the primer before hitting it with a medium coat to cover everything else.

6. Wait for the primer to dry (I only waited 1hour) and then repeat the same steps with the actual color paint. Real light coats then followed by medium coats. I did about 4 lights coats before hitting the wheel with 3 medium coats. I used all 4 cans of the paint and could have probably used a 5th but several medium coats after each other can result in runs if the paint isn't dry yet. My time was limited so I didn't have time for the paint to dry long enough for than 3 medium coats.

7. Let the paint bake in the sun for at least 3 hours. This will help cure the paint.

8. Unmask the tire slowly by peeling off the tape slowly to make sure you don't have thick overspray that may have bonded the wheel and tape together.

Final Product:

Name:  Tahoe001-1.jpg
Views: 25363
Size:  74.7 KB
Name:  Tahoe002.jpg
Views: 11468
Size:  69.0 KB
Name:  Tahoe004-1.jpg
Views: 16660
Size:  78.6 KB
reference: "fourdoor" from a different forum.
Old February 27th, 2008, 2:57 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: How to Paint Wheels (Pics & Details)

Here is a good video clip instruction on painting wheels too:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q5eK5OnHfqA
Old March 5th, 2008, 5:06 PM
CF Active Member

Here is the results in painting my wheels:
https://chevroletforum.com/m_60558/tm.htm
Old March 5th, 2008, 6:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I copied the pics from the other thread to the write-up above....
Old August 6th, 2009, 1:21 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

For some reason I can see the end result pics but the other pics come up with a file not found error. Anyone else see this?

Good job though! Looks good.

Deez
Old August 6th, 2009, 3:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep.. I took out the picture links and just left the directions.
Old August 6th, 2009, 4:32 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Why?

Deez
Old April 9th, 2010, 9:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Here in Houston, for whomever lives here, there is a place called americawheels and they fix / repair any wheel and for the price you pay, for instance I curbed one of my 22's which are painted Black had it rebent and painted for $129. w/ Life-time warranty.
But the downside - for that price you must bring the rim only - they charge more if you have a tire on it.
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Banned

Hello all my wheels are starting to get some rust spots in them and it seems no matter how hard i scrub them after off roading they just get worse and worse. So I thought I would paint them black. But I don't no Which paint, preparation and method? Please reply.

Thank you.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Looks good, i'm keeping tabs on this thread for future use. Very helpful