Paint, Body, & Interior Getting resprayed? Want to discuss body modifications? What about your carpeting and upholstery? This is the place for it!

ways of getting dents out

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2009, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ways of getting dents out

Anybody heard of getting dents out by heating them up witha hair dyer for a minute then spraying carbindioxide(air duster) On it then watching it pop out? I've seeb sine videos and quite few people claim it works with bigger dents. Also for smaller dents they said use dry ice. Let me know if any of you guys have tried it or know some one.
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dry ice & dents

Ive removed hail damage from the hood, roof, and trunk-lid my car a few years ago with dry ice, I wrapped it in a rag so I could handle it, and laid it on the worst damaged areas and some of them popped, but not without a price. You could still tell where the dent had been, maybe I didn't do it right though??? I havent tried it on anything since....
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

The dry ice trick works on the metal, but not on the paint. Due to the cold the metal "shrinks" into place. But since paint is another kind of material, it shrinks slower, which results in some kind of broken paint.
It does help, if you can get to the inside of the dent though. But for small dents, i wouldnt go any further then "hail dents" or anything.
And carefull with water, because dry ice can explode when in contact with too much water.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 2:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard of the dry ice method before and I agree with Koff. The paint isn't always unharmed and if the dent isn't symmetrically round, it will not turn out perfect.

The best way to do it is to warm the surface slowly with a halogen work lamp or hair dryer first and then apply the dry ice, so that way the area around the dent will be more forgiving and allow the dent to pop out easier. This is more in line on what Cody mentioned above and works with the same principal, but the cold is much colder.