S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

'03 S-10 having random cylinder misfires

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2007, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 S-10 having random cylinder misfires

About 10 months ago, my 2003 S-10 started giving me trouble starting. Sometimes, I'd have to turn the key for 10 seconds. Other times, I'd have to do that, and then do it again to get it started. Any other times, it would "start" right away, but just barely (it would sputter for 5-10 seconds before running normally). I tried some basic stuff like replacing the plugs and wires, distributor cap and rotor, etc. Nothing helped.

After around 4 months of this, the truck also started running a bit rough. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on and I took it to Autozone to get the code read. The computer was returning a code 300 (iirc), which was a random cylinder misfire. I took it to the dealer and got the fuel pump (and fuel filter) replaced under the protection plan (GMPP Basic) I got when I bought the truck. This instantly fixed the problem with starting, but it didn't affect the rough running at all.

Since then (about 3 months ago), I've just been putting fuel injector cleaner in the tank every few times I fill up the tank. This would allow the engine to run smoothly for a tank or two, but then it would start running rough again, throwing random cylinder misfire codes every few weeks. At someone's suggestion, I took it to a local place to have the fuel injectors cleaned. They did something that involved pressurizing the fuel system, but I don't know much else. It ran pretty well for about 2 weeks, but then the problem came back with a vengeance.

That brings us up to today. I'm getting really fed up with this problem. I don't want to take it to the dealer where they will replace one part after another trying to solve the problem through trial and error. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old June 4th, 2007, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '03 S-10 having random cylinder misfires

To make matters worse, after the truck sat in the driveway all weekend, it simply refuses to start. It sounds like it's turning over, and it will even sputter a few times. But it just won't actually start. I also smell gasoline when I'm trying to start it, but I don't see it leaking anywhere on the driveway. This isn't good []
Old June 15th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Fuel pressure needs to be checked and when doing so notice if pressure builds up then progressively falls off. Fuel pressure regulator can and will wreak havoc with idle, accelleration, etc..
Old September 19th, 2007, 8:27 PM
CF Junior Member

hello,im no pro but ive had almost identical problems in the past, the s10 is notorius for fuel pump failyer
i have a99s10 and replacedthe pumptwice, the fuel pump needs 62 plus psi to open the poppet nozzels on the4.3L the ruff running and now smell of gas sounds like a bad fuel pressure regulator, a small part in the plenum.one way to check and see if you'll run again is starter fluid, a small amount in the throttle body will do. if the motor fires up its most likely the fuel pumpand badregulator. hope this helps