S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1989 S-10 Suddenly won't start...

Old March 10th, 2010, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1989 S-10 Suddenly won't start...

Hey guys, i'm new here, as you can see.
I just bought a 1989 Chevy S-10 (4.3L v6 Automatic) a few months ago as a work truck. I work an hour away from where i live, and after taking the truck to work a few days a week for about 2 months, i drove home, parked it, and returned to it about an hour later to run to the store when i discovered it wouldn't start. It just sits there and cranks like a champion. I noticed since i bought it, after about 30 minutes of driving (once the engine got 'warm') the truck would shake when it was in a high gear / low rpm. (3rd and 4th). the oil has always been changed in it on time, and it recently was given new spark plugs and wires.
also! i forgot, but it has also always ticked until it got warmed up.
it's not out of fuel, because i got gas before i came home from work that night..

anybody else had this happen before?
:/

any help is appreciated,
i really love this truck and would hate to get rid of it or see what the dealer wants to have it looked at and fixed O_O
Old March 10th, 2010, 9:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you might have to spend a few minutes going thru some things. first, check or have checked the fuel pressure. with fuel injection, just cause it's gettin gas doesn't mean it's enough. i would also have ignition module and coil tested/replaced. go over all battery connections. also, check compression, as far as the shaking and such goes. it's possible you might have a valve needs adjusting. maybe.
Old March 10th, 2010, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Ok sweet. The battery and connections are looking good. Friday I will check the fuel psi and the ignition coil.. Do you know off hand how much fuel pressure I should have? I heard somewhere around 20 psi..
Another thing I forgot is that when the engine got warm, the oil psi would decrease. I would start the truck and it would read above 40 psi, after driving for 15-20 min it would drop steadily to below 20 psi, and wouldn't go back up to 40 psi until it sat and the engine got cold..
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

20 psi at idle, while driving, continuous? oil will heat up and thin just a bit when warm, but usually not too much. check oil level. rule of thumb is 7-10 psi for every 1000 rpm's fuel pressure should only be like 9-12 psi i believe. could be off tho.
Old March 10th, 2010, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Rogers mechanical repair service's Avatar

Before u do to much take the air filter off and while someone cranks the engine. Watch your injector to see if it's Spraying fuel. If not use either or gas and see if it will try to start. If it does it could be filter, pump, or relay. But first things first.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by lunchfist
I just bought a 1989 Chevy S-10 (4.3L v6 Automatic) a few months ago as a work truck. I work an hour away from where i live, and after taking the truck to work a few days a week for about 2 months, i drove home, parked it, and returned to it about an hour later to run to the store when i discovered it wouldn't start. It just sits there and cranks like a champion. I noticed since i bought it, after about 30 minutes of driving (once the engine got 'warm') the truck would shake when it was in a high gear / low rpm. (3rd and 4th). the oil has always been changed in it on time, and it recently was given new spark plugs and wires.
it's not out of fuel, because i got gas before i came home from work that night..

any help is appreciated,
i really love this truck and would hate to get rid of it or see what the dealer wants to have it looked at and fixed O_O
1989 S10 Chevy truck 4 cylinder will turn over but it won't crank
Old May 3rd, 2021, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1989 s

Originally Posted by lunchfist

any help is appreciated,
10chev truck will turn over but it won't crank
Old June 7th, 2021, 7:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

aside from the no start issue, 20psi when warm is not good...sounds like u have a rod or main bearing starting to go-too much clearance happening for the oil pump to maintain a decent oil film pressure...I had this issue w/my 4.3 V6 Vortec-a slight ticking when I bought it, nice pressure when cold, but 20 psi after warmed up...truck ran about 2 years like that, then it blew..you can try Lucas Oil additive, but it's just prolonging the inevitable.please keep us updated if/when u find the start gremlin...good luck