S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1990 S10 keeps blowing ignition coil.

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1990 S10 keeps blowing ignition coil.

Hello,

1990, 2wd, 2.8 liter, s10 pickup. THE IGNITION COIL KEEPS BLOWING OUT ON ME. I parked the vehicle last week and wouldn't start until I put a new coil in her. Started like a champ and would drive just fine until I shut her off and she would not start again. Put another coil in her and she started and drove just fine until I shut her off, then no start again. Ignition module tested good, new cap and rotor. I just cant figure this one out.

Caveat!

About three years ago my truck was stolen and I have been starting it with a screwdriver from the left side of the steering column. I have occasionally been guilty of not geting the switch all the way back when shutting the vehicle off because once or twice a year I am greeted to a dead battery. I am wondering if I have accidentally left the vehicle in a state of "key on, ignition off" often enough to fatally energize ignition components while my truck was parked for hours at a time.

I hope somebody can help, tell me what to test or share a similar experience.

Matt
Old December 22nd, 2012, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Figured it out

If anybody even cares anymore...or if anyone ever did...my coil was blowing out because the ignition module was bad. I believe that I ruined the ignition coil myself by accidentally putting the key into the start position while the vehicle was running. This was done infrequently over a period of years because my column was broken due to theft and because I was starting it with a screwdriver. The repair would have been deduced much sooner however the ding-dong at the auto parts store who tested my ignition module very early on in this process, told me the ignition module was good and it was not! In fact, I don't think there was anyway it could have been good at that time...God only knows. New module went in and everything was back to normal for my old truck.