S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1991 S10 won't start after new gas tank

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 S10 won't start after new gas tank

Last month I got a new gas tank and fuel filter because of a slow leak. A couple of days after I got it home, it wouldn't start. It tries but won't turn over. I've added gas. Nosing around the engine I noticed a disconnected wire near the rear of the engine compartment; had no idea where it belongs. I'm not enough of a mechanic to know much more. I didn't trace that wire to wherever it goes. It's purple. Today I noticed another wire coming off the side/bottom of the engine block from something that looks like some sort of plug (I didn't persist in trying to pull the wire off whatever it's attached to). It's end at the engine is metal and seems rather loose. The wire itself is also purple and looks very new. The unconnected ends of the two wires seem to match, so I connected them. They seemed very much like they belonged together, but nothing changed after reconnecting them. I've taken them back apart. I would welcome any advice and/or guidance.
Old January 12th, 2013, 1:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Can you hear the pump run? Pull the line of at the fuel rail, with key on, do you get fuel?Could be air in the line Purple wire usually are switched power on. If you can attach some images would be helpful.
Old January 12th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! I'll try to load a couple of pics tomorrow. I'm not sure I know about that other stuff. To be clear, it ran fine, as best I could tell, for a day or so right after I got it out of the shop. But now it sounds just like it did before when it would run out of gas. Crank and crank and crank but not turn over.
Old January 16th, 2013, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default images...

Here is a link to four images of what I found.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11757...49827152381281

1. There first is the wall of the engine, showing the unconnected wire at the bottom-center. I think the part at the top, attached to the wall, is new but I don't know what it is.
2. The second is a close-up of the male end of the loose wire I first found.
3. The third is where the second loose wire I found connects to the engine itself. It ends in a female connector that first to the first wire.
4. The fourth shows what I think are the male and female ends of the wire together. I've not rejoined them since I first tried over the weekend.

The tow truck is on the way to take it back to the shop...
Old January 17th, 2013, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Got it back from the shop today: kinked hose from tank to engine, between the tank and the body of the vehicle. Their mistake, no charges; easy to fix. No mention of the $60 bill to tow the truck back to the shop.
Old January 19th, 2013, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Glad everything turned out okay but just so you know the connector you plugged back in was just an 02 sensor it might have been throwing an engine light