S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1993 S-10 2.5L TBI really hates <15°F

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 S-10 2.5L TBI really hates <15°F

When I turn the key to on, I can hear the fuel pump pressurizing the lines. Usually, it is on for maybe 3 seconds and stops. I turn the key to start, and the engine turns over just fine, but does not start if the outside temperature is less than 15°F.

Once I let go of the key, I can hear the fuel pump trying to repressurize the line, and it will run for up to 30 seconds (WAY longer than normal) until it either gets the line to a minimum pressure, or just gives up.

This has happened every winter for the past 3 years. The first winter, taking a hair dryer to the fuel filter (an idea on a hunch) seems to be enough to thaw something out, because then the line would pressurize normally and I could start without an issue.

The second winter, I changed out the fuel filter, but I still had the problem. I didn't try out the hair dryer after that, however.

This year, I'm fed up with it. I changed my fuel filter the second year because I assumed it was full of water or something, and it would freeze the line up when it got cold enough.

The interesting thing is that if I can get it started, then I don't have a problem at all after that. It runs with normal engine power and has no acceleration lag that you'd expect with a mostly clogged fuel line.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?
Old February 18th, 2013, 6:33 PM
Former Sponsor

HowStuffWorks "Why is it so hard to start a car in the winter?"

What is happening sounds normal. Try adding some HEET to your gas tank and see if it will help your problem.
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Nothing in that link discusses a fuel line not pressurizing. The fuel hasn't even reached the point in the delivery system where it is supposed to vaporize.

Heet does help sometimes, but not always.