S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1995 S10 Rebuild- Now blowing smoke

Old January 12th, 2017, 3:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by hobhancock
Well the motor is back in with a new set of rings. I am to blame for all my troubles. I had messed up the oil expansion ring, when it overlapped on the piston to where I thought it was too big. Made the mistake of cutting off just one of the ends to where I thought they sat in the correctly. I assumed the upper and lower rails of the ring held the oil in and the expansion ring only allowed the oil to get back through the piston. Yeah, I know now, making the expansion ring smaller takes the pressure off the upper and lower rails, therefore letting oil get back into the combustion chamber. Stupid mistake. Luckily it was only my time and money that it affected. I think those who tried so hard to help me out. Not a professional at this for sure. The other rings that I had done before were somewhat different. I just wasnt paying attention and thinking straight. After watching a youtube video where the guy was showing how the little ***** on the expansion ring holds the upper and lower rails in and how one can do those wrong, did I realize my bonehead mistake. I am not going to quit my day job for sure. I would be in trouble if I did. So after all that, the motor is back in and running like a champ. It only smoked a short time until the oil that was present from the previous screw up had burned off. It sounds and runs good I think now. I just need a new muffler now. I do apologize for taking up anyones time due to my screw up. I do take all the responsibility for it. I live and learn. This will never happen again.
Mistakes are life lessons!

Search this Thread