S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1998 s10 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2012, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 s10 oil leak

Yes i just recently bought a used s-10 truck it's a 1998 chevy s-10 4.2 2.2L engine I believe.

Yes my truck started smoking one day when i was driving home. My husband checked it out and said it looked like it was leaking oil. When he draind ed the oil to replace it he noticied that the old oil filter was stopped up. He drained the oil out of it and replaced the oil and oil filter. He tried to drive it got about 5 miles noticied it started to smoke again but the oil pressure was good. He brought it back home and checked it agian and noticied that there was more oil leakign out. He replaced that oil filter hoping it was a bad one. He thought maybe it was a gasket but he was discussin the issue with a friend who also has a s10 and they told him to check the oil pressure switch up by the oil filter since that is where the oil seems to be coming from. The friend also told him he would have to remove the whole engine to access the oil pressure sending unit. That there isn't a way to reach the oil pressure sending unit with a wrench otherwise. I have been told this isn't true that you don't have to remove the engine. Not sure what is true and don't have the money for a mechanic. Ahy help is appreciated.
Old November 25th, 2012, 4:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 of my Sons have S-10's with the 2.2.liter engine.One is a 2000 and one is a 2001.

That motor is bullet proof and has been used in Marine applications for years as well.

They both have leaked oil,one a little more than the other.We solved the problem by replacing the Valve cover gasket on both trucks at different times years ago.

The valve covers are known to leak and drip down the rear of the engine on top of the bell housing then onto the exhaust where is crosses over to the passenger side of the truck.

The pipe heats up and you got smoke big time.
I doubt you have oil sender issues...there is no exhaust anywhere near there to create smoke.