S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1999 blazer cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2010, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1999 blazer cranks but won't start

Hi, my blazer has intermittant problems where it won't start. The last time I had it in the shop the guy said he could not get any codes to come out on his tester and that the fuel pump was fine (it was fairly new anyway). Then all of a sudden it started and he gave up. Today I got in it and it would not start. Cranks etc. just won't catch. It is getting fuel, spark etc.
I was thinking the cam sensor but shouldn't that give a code? How about the crankshaft sensor?

This has happened a couple times in the last month. Any ideas? My boss is not happy when I have to call in and am late getting a rental car. Darn thing runs like a champ otherwise.

Rick
Old March 22nd, 2010, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Rogers mechanical repair service's Avatar

Sounds like the champ has taken a beating, haha. If you're getting spark your sensors probally fine. Have the timing checked, check vacume lines. Do a compression test on the engine. Oh, make sure you see fuel going in and that you have spark at the same time. Check battery cables for a good conection. Cranks so it should be ok but doesn't hurt to check. I've seen them do strange things with a weak battery cable.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

I'v had this problem with fleet trucks, s-10's 4.3L. your fuelpump may have a ground issiue an when you hit a bump or somthing it will go out, so check that,alsoif you can get ahold of a fuel pressure tester it should read from 60 to 65 psi, if under 60 it want run. but fact pumps suck in this model and bosh is not much better. if you have to chang it go with a/c delco. good luck
Old March 23rd, 2010, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Lucseven,
That makes sense. I will try check the ground. I just drove down to Arkansas to work from Michigan and on the way I lost my fuel pump in Indiana. I had some good ol boys replace it and it worked fine the rest of the way. But those clips the replacement pump had those compression fittings on the wire. It very well could be a bad connection.

btw, I had it towed to a shop and when it got there it started again, runs great again(who knows how long). So it might be the ground being lose and lost it's connection. I'll let you know what I find this weekend when I can get the time to pull the tank down far enough to see (plus I just filled the darn thing so might as well drive it). If it does stop on me I might try the ol Rubber mallet trick to see if I can get it going again.

When they checked the pump pressure it was holding at a steady 65 pounds, The compression on the engine is fine, the plugs burn clean. Thanks for the advise guys.
Rick
Old March 24th, 2010, 6:57 AM
CF Beginner

Rogers mechanical repair service's Avatar

Fuel pressure should be 9-13 psi on TBI system and 41-47 psi on MFI system and 55-61 psi on CSEFI system.
Old August 29th, 2013, 4:14 AM
CF Beginner

I am having the exact problem with my 1999 chevy s10....it cranks but won't start. I change the spark plugs,the coils,the crank seņor...please someone help me....
Old September 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default Blazer

Same issue with my new-to-me Blazer, the day i bought it, it drove perfectly fine, but that night i went to advance auto to check out some things, i leave the store and it was flat dead. replaced the battery, and it cranks but wont start. I even replaced the computer (properly) And still just cranks. It had a Jet tuner chip and that was removed.
Old September 29th, 2013, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Default 99 blazer shut off wont start back up

was driving my blazer the other day i turned a corner it died and wont start it turns over and i have fuel at the rail and the pump was replaced about a year ago along with the map sensor and the sensor inside the distibutor and coil there is no engine light so the scanner wont pull any codes anybody have any ideas
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

mine start some times and runs great then the next time wont start, not even a kick, I rammed it though the gears on the colum and now some of the gauges wont work,
starts once in a while but no gauges, then no gauges once in gear, radio does not work,
is it possible to be an ignition switch issue, this Is on a 2002 blazer.
I had a 1998 jimmy and the odd time the gauges quit and wouldn't shift out of second shut off and restart and all was good, kept happening, gm replaced the ignition switch $500 later all was good. anyone think this could be the same problem?
Old March 14th, 2014, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default going crazy

my 1999 chevy blazer giving a hard time starting it cranks but rough time starting it once I get it started runs great but don't shut it off wont start for about an hour afterwards please help

Quick Reply: 1999 blazer cranks but won't start