S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1999 Chevy Blazer Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2015, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Blazer Won't Start

2 days ago my blazer started acting up like it wasn't getting any fuel, the fuel pump is new so I replaced the fuel filter. It ran fine all that night then the next morning when I went to leave it started acting up again, bogging down and sputtering. I changed the rotar button and cam shaft sensor and coil pack. Started right up, drove it home and then it started messing up again. So I changed the distributor cap and ignition control module. Rsn fine 3 blocks to my house then did the same thing. It wasn't getting any spark when I took the plug wire off the coil pack and touched it to metal so I took the ignition control module back and had it retested, first it showed it was good, then bad so they replaced it. Put it on and it still won't start. It tries to turn over, you can hear the fuel pump kick on and off and there is plenty of fuel pressure from the valve that's on the rail. I'm at a complete loss and I've tried everything everyone has suggested for me to change. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old August 14th, 2015, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

I'm sorry camshaft sensor, not crank shaft. It's the one under the distributor.
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Change out the crank shaft sensor. It's by the harmonic ballancer on the front of the engine.
Old August 28th, 2015, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 5 spd that stopped running. Last week I tried to start it and it tried to turn over, but it got harder till it stopped. Now I turn the key and nothing happens. The starter doesn't click or no other noise (I can hear the fuel pump start). I tried to roll start it and it didn't even try to turn over. Yes it has oil in it, but last week the oil pressure gauge would dip down to 20 then up to 40. I also have tried to bypass the Clutch Safety switch and still nothing. Any suggestions???
Thanks
Old August 28th, 2015, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

Might want to start a new post, but here goes. Sorry for a late reply.

When you say you rolled start it and didn't turn over. That means you popped the clutch and the engine made it stop the blazer? Or the engine seemed like it was turning over and not starting? If turning over. Start with basics, cap rotor, old fuel filter needed to be swapped out. Got spark?

For giggles, use a socket on the crank shaft bolt with a breaker bar. Turn it clockwise. Will it rotate? If you don't have that large size socket. You can use the same way to do it, sometimes. Using the serp belt tightness. To put a socket on nut of the the alt, power steering pump,ect. To do the same thing to try to turn the engine over.

A no go? Pull the spark plugs out. Try it again. The intake manifold gaskets can leak and you get coolant into a cyl. Hydro-locking it. You didn't mention if losing coolant before hand so not shure on this.

As far as turn the key on, you hear the pump run. Turn your headlights on, then try to start it. Headlights go out, a battery prob or cable prob. Corroded connections. Have an ohm-volt meter? Know how to use it?

Headlights stay on, A starter prob or locked up engine. I've had starter noze pieces crack and lock up a starter. That will kill the lights as a heavy draw. Not saying thats your prob. And starters bendix drive have been locked into the flywheel. You rock the car back and forth to free it up. In gear. Then try to turn it over with the breaker bar.

When you say the starter dosen't click. You have a starter relay in the under the hood fuse box. On the inside fuse box you have a crank fuse. Hot in run or start. See if it's blown. 10 amp. If good, on the relay. Look at the number on it. Most the time, you will have more relays under the hood with the same #. Pick one, like a horn relay or headlight relay to try swapping it out to see if it makes the starter work.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by locodave; August 28th, 2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old September 7th, 2015, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Sounds like an electrical problem.Have someone test your alternator.When your alternator goes out you will know it.You drive it to the store one morning,then after you kill it and try to crank it..It won`t start.An alternator is the main electrical part of the electrical system.You may want to have your battery tested too.