S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

1999 s-10 wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2008, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 s-10 wont turn over

my 1999 manual transmision s-10 with the 2.2L wont turn over. I drove it a mile from my moms house and parked it, then about an hour later i went to got to the store and had nothing. I have removed the starter and bench tested it, and it works fine. It almost acts like the clutch saftey swicth is not making contact, but I by passed that as well and still nothing. I also hear the relay in the relay center under the hood clicking and locking in (holding shut). anything else I should check? Hopefully you guys have heard this before and have a quick answer.

thanks for any suggestions

Matt
Old February 25th, 2008, 8:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: 1999 s-10 wont turn over

I'm assuming you have power?
Possibilities: Starter solenoid. Starter relay (may click, but still could be bad.)
Have you tried to turn the crankshaft? If you can turn it, that will rule out the possibility of a dry lockup.
Old February 25th, 2008, 8:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Did you try using jumper cables to start the vehicle? Does the battery have a good charge, are the battery cables clean?

Bench testing a starter that way,is not conclusive unless you put a load on it. If you turn on the headlites and turn the key to crank, how do the lites react? Can you take a voltage reading across the battery posts, with the key in the crank position, you may need a helper to turn the key. The reading shouldn't drop below 9 volts, that spec is subjective.
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

guys, thanks for your replies. I will check your suggestions and report back

thanks
Matt
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

I'm no mechanic, just a Chevy truck girl, but I had a similar problem last year. My Barney is a 95 S-10 4 cylinder manual shift. I was just leaving my last class for home at the beginning of spring break when I had a no start condition. Nothing electrical worked (headlights, radio, etc.) and the starter did not engage.

I had recently had a mechanic install a new Jasper engine, and the starter was also new.
I had it towed to my mechanic, and it turned out to be the ignition switch. He put in a new switch and Barney was running like new again. There were about 150,000 miles on the truck and just a few thousand on the new parts. The ignition switch was a little sticky just before this happened (I had to jiggle the key to get it out).

Good luck, I hope this helps.

mm
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

sweethoneybee, the ignition switch was one of my fears, but turned out to be something different.

I will tell you guys what i found. I checked everything that was suggested, no results. so I hooked up the battery cables again and put my multimeter on the wires leading to the starter. the heavy guage wire had a
constant 12 volts. so I hooked my meter up to the solenoid wire and had 12 volts when the key was turned to start position. then i decided to re-bench test the starter and this time it did nothing. I have not yet put a new starter in. have to wait for a ride into town. but I'm pretty sure thats it. thanks again to all that replied

Matt
Old August 30th, 2016, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 99 s-10 with a 2.2l. The motor blew the head so I pulled and rebuilt it. Now it's back in and I can't get it to spin over by the ignition switch. But I can get it to spin over by starter with a screwdriver. Also I'm not hearing my fuel pump come on. Any ideas?