S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

4l60e help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2009, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e help please!!!

hey everyone, i just bought a 94 chevy s10 4.3l vortec 4wd. when i bought it the tranny sliped in 1st gear, i pulled the stiick and you can tell the truck was not driven much due to the rust on it(short trip truck). it stoped slipping in 1st, but now has problems with going from 1st to 2nd, its like slipping and a delay in between gears. today i put a new filter in and tranny fluid, prior to that i cleaned the pan up and didnt find any metal just real dirty tranny fluid, after i took it out and still have the same problem, does it sound like a soloniod problem, mabe the tps not working right, where should i go from here, thanks

also was looking at lucas oil for trannys, does it really do what it says, i know i used the lucas oil for my jeep and brought the motor back to life, raised the oil pressure back to normal.
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60e

Chevyman ... I'm not a transmission expert or handyman ... but have been reading the service manual for possible causes of poor 1-2 shifting. One of most logical causes is sediment in the various valves or passages.

If the ATF in your truck was really bad, you took the first best step by replacing filter and fluid. However, you probably realize you only changed five quarts of the total 11 quarts in the transmission.

If the fluid was really junk ... and you can afford the fluid ... you probably should do one or two more changes to improve chances of "flushing" the junk out of the transmission.

If the shifting problem is still present after you've cleaned the ATF to a nice color and odor, it wouldn't hurt to try some of the "miracle" additives to complete the cleaning of the tiny valves and passages.