S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2.8L won't crank

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8L won't crank

I hate to make this one of my first posts but I could really use the help and it would be greatly appreciated. I have a 1993 s10 2.8L. It's old and beat, I won't even try to pretend it's not.

Recent issue: I put the key in, radio and other electronics work just fine but nothing happens when I turn the key. Nothing. I was thinking it was related to the ignition lock or the clutch lock (the switch that must be activated by pushing in the clutch to start it).

I don't have any manuals or schematics, which I typically rely on for all my vehicles.
Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 6:59 PM
CF Active Member

First thing to check is your battery cables. Make sure you have CLEAN and tight connections. Especially on the ground cable. It they look good and you have no green corrosion on the cables, then your starter could be stuck. If you can reach it without too much trouble, tap it with a hammer and then try to crank it. If it starts, odds are that you may just need to replace the bendix on it. Check these things out and post back. Since you have a clutch, can you roll start it by turning it on and popping the clutch after you gain some speed?
Old July 25th, 2011, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the delayed follow up. I feel kind of dumb about this but it was an incredibly simple solution: the battery was JUST low enough to not allow for the engine to turn over but it had enough to turn on all radio, lighting and fuel pump functions. Tricky. Fixed.

Thank you so much for the reply!
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:09 PM
CF Active Member

No problem. I'm happy to see that it was something simple and you found out what it was. Battery is always the first thing I check when there's a cranking problem.