S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2000 Blazer ~ Ran out of Gas ~ Problems

Old July 10th, 2012, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2000 Blazer ~ Ran out of Gas ~ Problems

I ran my blazer out of gas about 2 weeks ago. I notice the low fuel light was on when I pulled into work. By the time I left work I had forgotten about it until I had already gotten on the freeway. I figured I could make it until my exit, I figured wrong. It sputtered a couple times and died. I walked back to the nearest gas station and purchased a can and 2 gallons of gas. I put the 2 gallons in it and it wouldn't start. I thought maybe because the angle the truck was sitting off the side of the road the fuel wasnt reaching the pump. I walked back to the gas station and got 2 more gallons. It still wouldn't start. I replaced the filter and still no start.

Someone told me that the pump may have burnt up running dry. I replaced the pump and strainer this morning. When I turn the key on the pressure goes to 62lbs, after I crank the motor it drops to about 57lbs. I sprayed a little fuel in the throttle body but it did't start on that either. I checked the plugs for fire. There is fire but it was a dull orange and the plugs looked pretty ratty so I went ahead and replaced the plugs. Still nothing.

Any tips?

Thanks,
Jon
Old July 10th, 2012, 3:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Plugs looked like sootie, or what is ratty? The gas in the tank keeps the pump cool. Never run your tank that low. The orange spark should be blue. Is there a code?
Old July 10th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Sootie pretty well describes it. No codes are coming up on the scanner.
Old July 10th, 2012, 4:00 PM
CF Monarch

Are all of them that way? If so, I'd replace the ignition module.

Last edited by kevinkpk; July 10th, 2012 at 4:08 PM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

All of the plugs looked like it had been running a lil rich. I replaced the plugs. Now I'm getting bright blue/white spark. It still will not start. I tried spraying starting fluid down the throttle body and it still won't start.
Old July 10th, 2012, 7:54 PM
CF Monarch

Not a dumb ?, but one I have to ask. You had an orange spark before, now it looks good. What has changed from orange to blue, and is the plug wires correct?
Old July 10th, 2012, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

I had a dull orange spark with the old plugs. With the new plugs I have bright blue spark. The plug wires look okay. The firing order is the same as it has been for the last year or so. It had been running okay. It doesn't have a ton of power but it runs smooth. It has 235000 miles on it, so I never hot rod it.

Now that it don't want to hit on starting fluid in the throttle body I don't know what to think. I'm getting a lil irritated with it.
Old July 10th, 2012, 9:42 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by JonMount
I had a dull orange spark with the old plugs. With the new plugs I have bright blue spark. The plug wires look okay. The firing order is the same as it has been for the last year or so. It had been running okay. It doesn't have a ton of power but it runs smooth. It has 235000 miles on it, so I never hot rod it.

Now that it don't want to hit on starting fluid in the throttle body I don't know what to think. I'm getting a lil irritated with it.
Plugs don't have anything to do with that. The spark delivered to them is what works.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Fouled plugs wouldn't cause weak spark? Where should I go from here? Maybe something else caused it to die and the low fuel light being on didn't have anything to do with it? It had been running fine and the check engine light had not been on.
Old July 11th, 2012, 9:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

disconnect the battery for 10 mnutes and then reconnect and retry to start it. additionally, you may have to check the fuel level and the position of the strainer on the fuel pump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer ~ Ran out of Gas ~ Problems