S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2000 Blazer HELP!

Old February 2nd, 2013, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Blazer HELP!

i have a 2000 blazer that had a coolant leak, was bogging in first gear and using up coolant about a year ago, i put some rislone pellets and it worked. drove it for a year and the same problem came back. i put more rislone pellets and it got better, but one day it overheated badly (3/4 up on gauge) and when i checked the coolant was gone and i noticed that on one side of the engine had coolant on it and a couple spray marks on the underside of the hood . i filled up the coolant temp went down and i got home 3 blocks uphill away. went to start it the next day and it would turn but not start, jumped with another car - continually turning it over and eventually it started, but still bogs in 1st gear. i then put the expensive block fix in it and it is continuing to overheat, eat coolant, smoke when hot, and bog in 1st. Any ideas/help?
Old February 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like you had a coolant leak due to a blown headgasket.

What kind of block fix did you get?

This problem could also be caused by water pump seal allowing coolant to leak.
Old February 4th, 2013, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

i used the rislone pellets, the first time and it worked, then i used the more expensive blockFIX by rislone (kinda an orange/red mix). Pretty sure your right about the headgasket. it is definatlely better, for it's starting and driving now. but the temp going up almost all the way in 5min in the wintertime seems that maybe something else is going on. maybe thermostat? cause last time when i had the same symptoms (white smoke and bogs) before the stop leaked started to kick in, it never heated up like this. Was thinking of putting more stop leak in it, wondering if i should replace the t-stat or if there was a way of testing it. the car still puts out hot air through the air vents.
Old February 4th, 2013, 4:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Fixing a leak is fixing a weak spot only to have another leak show. I have a 96 lumina that I put barrs leak in, worked for a couple weeks, it also appears to have sealed the heater core. I ended up replacing the radiator as I had other areas start leaking. Now the tstat has failed open, I can't get enough heat when it is real cold. I have a replacement, but haven't had time to replace it.
Old February 5th, 2013, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default update

well, left it for a couple days, had trouble gettin it goin again. put a little more stop leak and topped it off with coolant, let it run. it bogs when i give it juice, white smoke, and when i stopped reving it i looked under the hood and you can see where coolant has sprayed out (just under the left - looking at the motor - valve cover. idles fine and there is lots of hot air when i turn the heat on. when i squeezed the top right hose , it seems to lack pressure - but somehow i'm gettin heat. So... i'm guessing head gasket or intake manifold gasket is blown and i may have a reduction in coolant flow. the heater core is putting out hot air so some must be getting through. Thinkin new rad cap, check the water pump, rad might be clogged. i was hoping that if i got good coolant flow, the stop leak would have a better chance of working. Anyone know of any things i can do to narrow down the options, intake or head? and what might be hindering my flow? thanks in advance
Old February 5th, 2013, 5:50 PM
CF Monarch

White smoke out of the exhaust is coolent in the combustion chamber. Run a compression check, there is a way to have the head gaskets checked, thats my suspect that is at fault.
Old February 5th, 2013, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Really sounds like a head gasket. Stop leak will just clog up other parts once and if it ever actually stops a leak..
Old February 6th, 2013, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

could it be the intake manifold gasket? looks like that's where the leak is coming from, right behind the altenator.
Old February 6th, 2013, 7:42 PM
CF Monarch

Yes it could be. You will have to remove the intake regardless