S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2000 Blazer - Too much trouble?

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2012, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Blazer - Too much trouble?

Aloha everyone,

I must begin by stating that I have never before joined a forum so this is my first ever post ... please read this as an advanced apology for any forthcoming faux pas.

I have been searching Craig's List et al in my area for a vehicle, and came upon a 2000 Blazer 4x4 4.3 Vortec V6 with 190K miles. I have been discouraged from purchasing it, due to the high miles, by a mechanic friend (he nor I have actually seen/tested the car). The seller has babied the car and most miles are highway, additionally the transmission has been rebuilt.

I want and need an suv and cannot afford to pay more than 3K (the asking price of this Blazer) but I do not want to be getting a huge driveway paperweight. I see that the 2000 Blazers have issues, but my queries regard whether these are fixable, and can I be proactive to stem the flow, so to speak?

This is the most I have ever spent on a vehicle, so I need to be extremely prudent. I gravitate toward buying American, but have been dissuaded from following through with this tendency. (again, profuse apology if mentioning another car company is a no-no, but the trend seems to be to buy a Toyota 4Runner - all well and good, but for the year I want, out of my price range).

Any and all thoughts on the 2000 Blazer are appreciated. Do you have one - love it/hate it? Would you sell yours to your sister/mom?

P.S. Superfluous perhaps, but by way of introduction, I am a 46yo single female planning to move to Idaho, thus the desire for 4wd. I currently own an 88 Ranger and have had a 66 Plymouth Valiant, 66 Dodge Coronet, 66 Mustang among other cars in the past.

Mahalo,
Jeremiah_Bullfrog
Old July 24th, 2012, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought mine in 2005 with 150,000 miles on it. It now has 235,000 on it. I have had to replace the fuel pump and water pump. While it is currently giving me problems, I have got more than my $ worth out of it. You can't expect to not have to work on a vehicle with that many miles on it but overall I've been happy with mine. Good luck to you either way.