S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2003 chevy blazer driveline noises

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2006, 1:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 chevy blazer driveline noises

My brother-in-law's 2003 Chevy 4 x 4 blazer has about 40,000 miles on it. For the past 10,000 miles it has been making different noises. I could get it to make the first noise while driving down the road (up to 35 MPH), jack up and in drive and while it was parked and I pushing up on the gas tank. I heard all kinds of SUVS making this noise so I know it not only gm having this problem. It was a squeaking noise. Now this noise is gone and now there is rattling can kind of noise coming from the drive line while driving down the road from 0-30 mph. Once it gets up around 30 or so it stops making the noise. Every time you stop and then go it makes this noise or when you back out of driveway and then put it into drive and take off. Plus every once in awhile there is thumping going on from the back end. I changed the rear axle fluid and made sure everything was nice inside the cover. It was even taken into a Monro and the mechanic said he didn't hear nothing and everything underneath was tight. I called the dealer and they said there was no recalls on anything in the drive line. Has anyone else experienced these noises and what was the culprits that was causing the problems. Any help is greatly appericated.
Thank you,
Dan
Old November 30th, 2006, 1:19 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 2003 chevy blazer driveline noises

not 2 sure where u think the noise is coming from. it sounds like u have a bad (seized) u-joint, probably the one @ the diff. if u take out the drive shaft & pulled one of the cups off, i betcha it's probably drier than a nun in there. if it is change both of them, and check the front shaft while u'r at it, u never know.

funny, if your u-joint is crapped out, it makes u wounder how it could fail with only 30-odd K, yet i replaced a u-joint in my Blazer that was factory with 345,00 KM on it (a little over 215,000 miles), and it was working great when i took the DS out.
Old December 1st, 2006, 1:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 chevy blazer driveline noises

I was thinking it was that too. I called two dealers and the mechanics both told me that it would not be u-joint (because it wouldn't go away) and that it was something else. I will talk to him about changing them and see what he wants to do. The "tin can" noise goes and comes whenever it wants. Sometimes it sounds like it coming from the front end and other times it sounds like it is coming from the back-end. Thank you for your post.