S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

4.3 Issues please help Im lost!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2013, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4.3 Issues please help Im lost!!!

Hello all Im a noob here and couldnt find where to introduce myself. Im Steve,
I have a 01 chevy s10 with the 4.3l vortec motor.The truck has 190,xxx miles and has sat for what I was told for about a year not running.
The issue is when the motor is cold it will start and run but barley, almost like its out of time.
I have put a breaker bar on crankshaft pulley and checked for slop in timing chain and seems fine. The idle jumps from about 600rpm to about 1500rpm the motor seems to kinda make a knocking noise when rpm is low due to im guessing loosing oil pres. due to almost stalling..
It Has multi cyl miss-fires when I push gas it will will barley gain rpm if at all.
after a short while like a minute or so will stall like the spark plugs not burning enough of fuel.. today I ran odbII test and have a like three codes. it wasnt my computer so I didnt get to save code. However one of them is the crank position sensor, today I got two of them from a junk yard, and put one in.. The truck ran better than Ive ever heard it run which has only been four times, It ran great for about 5 minutes then back to same thing stalled and wouldnt start. There seemed to be what looked like gas on the sensor when I pulled it back out..It didnt smell like gas so im guess was water.. would it be possible that there is water from condensation from sitting or am I looking at a cracked head or gasket? or maybe a cracked block? I need help please and thank you all! If you need anymore info please feel free to ask I will give you all info I can..
Old February 25th, 2013, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default in wrong place?

after writing this all I seen it should have been under new member area not sure new to the forum thing. I just got the truck into the air and had to beat the tires off per they were froze. I got a used MAF sensor today as it were one of the codes. tomorrow will pull plugs and find TDC and timing marks.
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you replaced the CKP you have to do the CKP sensor variation learn procedure. Also sounds like for the amount of time it was sittting I'd put fresh fuel int and change the fuel filter. Also clean and/or replace the plugs.
Old February 27th, 2013, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

how do you do the variation lean procedure?? I will go get some new fuel, and I just got done changing the plugs. how do you get the number 3 plug out from behind the steering arm?? I also replaced the MAF sensor but seems to make no difference if its plugged in or not. Once I fired it up the idle seemed to be alot better, and seems to run better if the vacuum hose is off to the break booster..Also while running it was starting to come up to operating temp and if you hit the gas its like it fouls out the plugs.. Please let me know how to calibrate the CKP sensor, and thanks
Old February 27th, 2013, 5:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to do the CKP variation learn is with a scan tool. Has to be up to operating temp also before it can be done. Then floor it(in park) until the rev limiter cuts out. That's about it.
Old February 28th, 2013, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Ok I have tried the new fuel and the spark plugs.. seems to idle alot better when cold..the vacuum line off does help it run still same thing while warming up the idle drops starts at about 900rpm cold then as it warms up goes to 800 the 600 then 500rpm then will just die and really wont start again till its cold.. i cannot get it all the way up to normal operating temp, every time i hit the gas it wants to stall.. any ideas on it?? what sensor on the truck advances the timing to make the spark hotter if any??
Old March 1st, 2013, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Ok today I checked for spark and seemed great, while doing a compression test I had about 140 on cylinder and about 152 in cylinder 5..2 and 4 were about the same.. I ran the scan tool and its telling me CKP or MAF sensor which both came out of a wrecked parts truck. and P300 Random, Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.. Is this the CPK again? or maybe another sensor? thanks for all the help.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

The truck has new gas but it doesnt run good enough for the road test so I have to keep filling a gas can up.. I lent a friend my 5 gal can so its just gone. Ive been filling up a 2 gal can. Today I got 92 octane and some seafoam per a friends recommendation that works at advanced auto to get rid of moisture that may have been build up in gas tank from sitting. I will add that when I get more gas. While doing a compression test I seen that my 3 day old spark plugs are covered in carbon again. they are black. what causes that? not burning fuel? to much air to mush gas, not enough spark? im lost I was also thinking of running some cam2 to boost octane and maybe adding some octane booster? should I be looking into the spider or plenum gasket? I have had issues with all kinds of motors but I do not know the vortec. I have heard the timing is really strange and touchy and I know the sensors can control the timing, and I know it gets advanced threw voltage but I dont know if there is a way to test these and what the voltage is supposed to be on the sensors. any Ideas??
Old March 2nd, 2013, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

hello all just an update. the truck is running better. Im guessing the new fuel is working its way in. Its been so cold outside. however i can get the truck when cold i can push the gas and I will run up to about 1800rpm and if I hold it will throw a code and the idle way down till whatever is malfunctioning stops then it will start burning fuel better and idle back up. When it malfunctions the check engine light flashes then goes solid again and runs better.. I also got the truck up to normal operating temp. for the first time ever so it seems to be running better and better.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

well I know have my own ODB II scanner however where the battery connects to it is broken. the 9Volt battery black connector that connects to the battery needs replaced Im off to radio shack in the am to see about buying one and scanning truck again. Also I hooked my spark tester to my 04 dodge stratus 2.4L 4cyl DOHC on the number 2 cyl and the spark was almost constant in the test it was so fast at an idle.So what I thought was great spark might have not been so great. Seemed to be strong just not sure if its because the difference from a 4 cyl vs a 6 cyl or being a DOHC vs a single in how fast I should see the spark..We will say the idle in my truck is 900rpm is there anyone that can tell me or show me a video showing how fast and or bright my spark should be for this truck. I will scan the truck tomorrow and post results. also Im gonna go get some cam2 which is like 100-110 octane racing fuel to see if it will help clean the gas tank up. I will try and get to the fuel pressure test and see the psi. and will post that as well.

Quick Reply: 4.3 Issues please help Im lost!!!