S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

MIL after tuneup, can't get codes

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2010, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL after tuneup, can't get codes

I have a 1995 Blazer 4x4 4-door, VIN code W 4.3L V6, with 209K miles on it. Yesterday, I replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap (with side towers), and rotor; everything's new AC Delco parts except the plugs, which are E3 Diamondfires. Now it's running rough and smelling rich, like a cylinder isn't firing. It gave me a MIL (service engine soon light), too, flashing on the dash like something's wrong (duh!).

I pulled out my AutoXray EzScan 6000 to try to pull the code so I could see what was wrong. My Blazer's got an OBD-II computer in it (yellow cable from the AutoXray, set to 1996 year model, communicates; set to 1995, with either the yellow or blue cables, says it's not communicating). I ran the scan. It told me that the MIL is on, but that there are no codes stored.

I reseated all the connections at the spark plugs, and wiggled the wires, but the condition doesn't change. How do I go about finding out what's wrong? Preferably without burning the hell out of my hand on the exhaust manifold?
Old August 26th, 2010, 6:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you smell it running rich, it would be my guess that the plug wires are crossed somewhere and the cylinders are not firing correctly and the un-ignited fuel is being sent out the exhaust...double check and recheck the wires at the cap and the plugs
Old August 27th, 2010, 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I'd double-checked, but checked again, and sure enough, the wires to 4 and 6 were reversed at the distributor. Swapped them, things are good. Still wish I knew why I couldn't pull the codes, though.
Old August 27th, 2010, 7:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

glad you found it, it could be because it was coming up as a mis-fire and it just didn't know what code to put...