S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Poor, Poor Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2008, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor, Poor Acceleration

My brother's 4 cylinder '96 S-10 truck with 210,000 miles on it has really poor acceleration / hard time getting moving. He says he has to give it a lot of gas, otherwise it will just die. He recently had the catalytic converter changed and the downstream O2 sensor, as well as spark plugs. He's throwing these codes:

PO342 - camshaft position sensor A circ. low input
PO404 - EGR Flow CKT range performance
P1133 - manufacturer control fuel air metering

My initial reaction is he did something real funky with the O2 sensor or he needs to change his other O2 sensor. Any ideas, other than it's just a truck with a ton of miles on it?
Old December 15th, 2008, 3:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Poor, Poor Acceleration

Take off the intake and see if you can find any oil around the PCV tube and Throttle body boot. It seems to be a common problem with the PCV valve that when it goes bad, it regurgitates oil. With the PCV clogged, acceleration is slow. This may not be a factor, but it happened with my Sonoma utility truck that had the same symptoms.[/align][/align]Inaccordance with the codes, the Cam posistion sensor will need to be changed, and the EGR valve will need to be cleaned or replaced. I'm not sure how to do it....[/align]
Old December 27th, 2008, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poor, Poor Acceleration

The last fault is telling you that your maf is bad (air meter, mass airflow sensor, whatever you guys want to call it). A bad maf will make you run way rich and hurt performance. Try unpluging the maf and see if performance worsens. If it doesn't, replace it. Don't buy into maf cleaner either. It's a gimick. That is unless the maf element got fouled up by an over oiled aftermarket filter. Clean the egr piping. EGR codes are normally a result of carbon build up at the block restricting flow. Not a big deal or a noteable performance killer. It's mainly just for cleaner emissions. Most engines will have some compression loss at 210k. Being a 4cyl doesn't help the case. If there is no rod knock when the head gasket blows out then it'd be wise to replace the rings if you/he wants to try for another 210k.