S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

98 Blazer 4x4 doesnt switch

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Blazer 4x4 doesnt switch

Have a 1998 Blazer 4.3 V6, automatic transmission. Suddenly on one day the electric 4-wheel drive doesnt switch on. Pressing the button the relay clikcs several times, the light flashes, but it doesnt switch to 4 wheel drive. Went to a friend who does car diagnostics, but he doesnt have all the correct programs, but his testing showed that all is ok with the electronic parts. He though the problem may lie within wiring or some such. I went under the car, but it seems to me that the wires a in order.

It worked just fine, but then the car was standing for a week and after that it wont switch anymore.

Has anyone had the same problem or can anyone hint a solution or something?

Thank you <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
CF Junior Member

When you go to start the truck put the key to the run position but DO NOT START THE TRUCK, Press your 4X4 High button you light should be flashing, now Start the truck, and go into Neutral Gear. If you hear or feel a "Thunk Sound" in below the driver seat, this is a good thing. The solenoid is working correctly. Now shift into drive and you should here a second "Thunk Sound" This will be your gears engaging. Now try to get up to 35 MPH and listen for any grinding noise. IF None your fine.

If you do here noise and grinding and the truck is shaking, return to standard 4x2 mode, and have the transfer case check for a faulty seal. Warning it will cost you about 1000.00 to have it fix.

This happen to me back in January after having to ditch my truck due to an accident on the road ahead of me, and another driver not paying attention that almost ran me into the tow truck at the scene. I hit the brakes, headed for the ditch, heard a POP sound, stop the truck, went to full 4x4 Low, then to 4x4 High per the drivers manual, and blew the seal.

Once it was fix, it works fine now. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Siliconasp; September 22nd, 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: grammer
Old October 6th, 2009, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

I had that on my 02 blazer. it turned out to be a vacuum hose leak.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
CF Active Member

I had this problem, check under your battery tray, there will be a little vacuum diaphram looking thing, press 4wd and the diaphram should suck in and stay in. In my case the little locking spring on my diaphram was broke. If it doesn't suck in and the spring on the neck is still good look for a vacuum leak. A broken, cut, or dissconnected hose.
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:23 PM
CF Junior Member

that what happened to my moms blazer an we had to get a new electronic piece for the transfer case... its on the drivers side an black
Old October 15th, 2009, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Hey andur, Did you figure out what was wrong. A buddy has a 98 blazer and the same exact issue has happened. I hear the relay behind glove box but nothing happens. the only issue is his is stuck in 4-hi but shows to be in 2wd. Any help would be great.