S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

91 s10 new starter, ignition switch and neutral safety switch but still will not cran

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2016, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 s10 new starter, ignition switch and neutral safety switch but still will not cran

91 S-10. So one day I tried to start the truck and nothing, the dash lights up, stereo turns on and I can hear the fuel pump but when I turn the key to start nothing happens. Long story short I've replaced the starter, ignition switch and neutral safety switch none of which fixed the problem and now when I was adjusting the neutral safety switch I turned the key to try and start it I just heard a click, now I don't have any dash lights and stereo will not turn on. I'm hoping I didn't fry anything trying to adjust the safety switch, if I did would anyone know where to start with that, and anyone have any idea what the original problem might be?
Old December 13th, 2016, 12:37 PM
CF Active Member

If you think you shorted something out, check your fuse block as they should have blown before damaging other components. As far as your original problem, I would double check your connections and make sure they are correct and tight. After that, I would check the battery and the battery cables to make sure you are getting power to the starter and not shorting out through a bad cable.
Old December 13th, 2016, 3:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Javan Kern
91 S-10. So one day I tried to start the truck and nothing, the dash lights up, stereo turns on and I can hear the fuel pump but when I turn the key to start nothing happens. Long story short I've replaced the starter, ignition switch and neutral safety switch none of which fixed the problem and now when I was adjusting the neutral safety switch I turned the key to try and start it I just heard a click, now I don't have any dash lights and stereo will not turn on. I'm hoping I didn't fry anything trying to adjust the safety switch, if I did would anyone know where to start with that, and anyone have any idea what the original problem might be?
Is the shift selector worn, where as before this issue you had to hold it hard into park for it to crank? Did you put the shifter into neutral, and try to start it? Replaced the starter, was the replacement the "whole" unit, with solenoid?
Old December 13th, 2016, 3:31 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by SBchevyfan
If you think you shorted something out, check your fuse block as they should have blown before damaging other components. As far as your original problem, I would double check your connections and make sure they are correct and tight. After that, I would check the battery and the battery cables to make sure you are getting power to the starter and not shorting out through a bad cable.
I agree with this
Old December 13th, 2016, 9:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Is the shift selector worn, where as before this issue you had to hold it hard into park for it to crank? Did you put the shifter into neutral, and try to start it? Replaced the starter, was the replacement the "whole" unit, with solenoid?
yes I tried holding the shifter and tried it in neutral. And I did replace the whole unit with the solenoid.
Old December 15th, 2016, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SBchevyfan
OK so it doesn't have a starter relay. I double checked the voltage on the battery: good, and from the starter: good. None of the fuses are blown but with the multimeter I'm only getting voltage on the left most column of fuses, no voltage from anywhere else on the bock, key on or off. This doesn't seem right to me, any ideas?
Old December 16th, 2016, 6:50 AM
CF Monarch

If the fuse is good, you should have voltage on both sides of the fuse, at least with key on.
Old December 16th, 2016, 6:52 AM
CF Monarch

Are you check with the voltmeter across the fuse, or the ground lead to ground?
Old December 17th, 2016, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

I did check the fuses with the key on, both sides of fuse, fuse to ground, and still no voltage running through any of the fuses except the left most column. I unplugged the pink wires for the ignition which I would think should have power but nothing as well.

Last edited by Javan Kern; December 17th, 2016 at 9:57 AM.
Old December 31st, 2016, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

OK so I found that one of the rust color wires off the alternator was severed. I reconnected the wire but now as soon as I try to reconnect the ground on the battery it tries to start, which I don't understand how this is even possible because the ignition switch and neutral safety switch are not even connected. I reconnected the ignition switch and neutral safety, same thing, it tries to start as soon as I touch the ground back to the battery.