S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

96 4 cylinder s10 wont start

Old January 12th, 2017, 9:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 4 cylinder s10 wont start

So I have had problems with this truck starting for a while. But now it wont start and its been about two months.
A few months ago i started it up and drove to the gas station. I fueled up, started the truck and it died within 4 seconds from the time I started it. I waited about 5 to 10 minutes and it eventually started up again. I drove around and did my errands for the day and it didn't have any trouble. I ran it one more time to take it to work about a week after and it ran fine. A week after that I started it up and was putting it in reverse and it died while backing it up. That was the last time it ran. That was about two months ago.
It seems that the fuel pump is good because i could hear it when i turn the key in the ignition. I changed the fuel filter about 2.5 years ago, but I have ran it with old fuel in it. (Fuel sitting in it for 3-4 months)
Any help i can get from you guys is greatly appreciated.
Old January 13th, 2017, 1:20 AM
CF Monarch

Received 335 Likes on 316 Posts

Just because you can hear the pump doesn't mean it is pumping at the correct pressure. Do a pressure check. You can also spray some starter fluid into the throttle body and see if it runs for a few seconds. If it does then the fuel pump is bad.
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if you found your problem so I'll put my 2c in. Also not sure what you've done so far troubleshooting the problem, so I'll just make a few random suggestions.

Have you smelled around for fuel leaks anywhere? A small fuel leak can let fuel pressure leak from the system. It would pressurize again when you turn the key "on" but as the leak grows bigger, it would take longer to charge the system until the leak grew large enough to just not deliver enough fuel to run the engine.

Also, check the coil packs. Apparently the packs are mounted at the bottom of the engine and are prone to corrosion. Cyl #4 is the first to go.

HTH

Search this Thread