S-10 & Blazer1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330
Welcome to Chevrolet forum!
Welcome to Chevrolet forum,
You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Chevrolet forum today!
97 s10 P0301 cyl #1 misfire, no power, rough idle, bad gass mileage
I have a 1997 S10 Automatic 2wd V6 - 4.3L. I am getting a P0301 code consistently. It has 105,000 miles that is idling rough, has a loss of power at highway speeds, and terrible gas mileage (around 10mpg or less). In the past year I have changed the cmfi unit (fuel injectors/lines/poppets), the fuel pressure regulator, throttle positioning sensor, coil, fuel filter. In the past month I have changed the plugs (correctly gapped), plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter. I have put in several fuel injector cleaners of various types including seafoam with no improvement. I am trying to figure out what to do next. The fuel pressure is 63psi with the key on while priming (key on and buzzing/whining heard) then drops to zero - while running it is 54psi. This is within specs according to the manual - aside the initial drop which causes a hard start sometimes (not an issue for now). There is a minor exhaust leak between the catalytic converter and the muffler - (seemingly a small issue unless effecting the O2 sensors). I have cleaned several sensors in the past..... I am at the point where I am trying to figure out if I should fix the truck or junk it. I am out of ideas.... I don't have the tools to check compression. I am thinking O2 sensors, or catalytic converter - or a sensor.... Any thoughts????
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
How does the plug in the No. 1 cyl. look? Does it look like it is firing at all?, does it have any carbon burn on it? Does it have a fuel smell to it? It leads me to think of going back to the basic three principals of the operation of an internal combustion engine Air/Fuel, Spark and Compression. Each one has to be checked and eliminated as a problem. It could be a wiring issue causing the plug not to fire or the injector not to fire. It's just a proccess of elimination if it can be found and fixed than the truck is worth keeping.
Thank you both for your responses. I will check your suggestions again tomorrow. I appreciate your help during the busy holidays! I have not checked the plugs since I installed them a few weeks ago. I will check tomorrow and let you know. I will spend some time tomorrow troubleshooting a few last things before bowing out to the professionals with the proper diagnostic equipment. I am taking the truck to a shop on Tues. to officially troubleshoot this issue - it has been causing problems for too long. This is a test to my pride...but sometimes you must choose the path of least resistance. I will post what I learn/find out tomorrow and after the shop visit.
Have you found the problem with the Blazer?? I am having the same issue and I have 186000 miles. I got a p301 code (#1 cylinder missfire)and a p420 code (catalyst effiency below threshold) how did you fix your issues or did you take it to the professional. I am at that stage right now. Not sure what to do>
So I got it running better the night before I was going to take it in the the mechanic. I cleaned all the sensors, checked for vacuum leaks, and everything else. Then I noticed that the plug wire for the #1 plug didn't go up as far as the others - by just like 1/16th of an inch or so. I got it to seat all the way like the rest of them and the problem was solved. After all the stuff I checked and cleaned - it was that the whole time. It just couldn't get a strong enough spark I guess. Hope this helps. I overlooked this several times beacuse I thought that the little bit that the boot was pushed back couldn't make a difference. Check it out - it's worth a shot. The boots on the wires seem awful thick - which makes it difficult for them to seat all the way. I used wd-40 to make them slide on all the way .... not sure if that's the right thing to use but it worked. Good luck!