S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

98 s-10 blazer a/c problem

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2011, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 s-10 blazer a/c problem

I have a 98 s-10 blazer. the AC was empty (it had been sitting for over 2 years when I got it) Truck runs great but I am trying to get the AC working and am not sure where to start. I have charged the system, but the clutch is not engaging. Per a local suggestion I tried putting 12V to the coil (there was no voltage at the coil? connection) this engaged the compressor and I added some more coolant. which overcharged the system. when it was over charged the compressor would cycle off and on on its own, but once I got the pressure back into a safe zone it stopped and wont come on by itself.

where should I look next? is the compressor bad, or is there a sensor I need to check/swap?

any help would be great, Thanks in advance!

Jon
Old June 24th, 2011, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

You have high pressure and a low pressure cut out switches you can check, compressor control relay, can be somewhat tricky to diagnose. Did you have a vacuum pulled on the system prior to charging? Could be moisture or contaminants in the system.
Old July 17th, 2011, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by uneasy_rider
You have high pressure and a low pressure cut out switches you can check, compressor control relay, can be somewhat tricky to diagnose. Did you have a vacuum pulled on the system prior to charging? Could be moisture or contaminants in the system.
Everytime ive charged a system, I put a small vacuum on it so that it takes easier. you can also gauge the amount already inside too.

If you didnt do that, it may need to be drained....