Alternator wiring - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Alternator wiring


  Reply  
  #1  
Old  October 11th, 2010, 10:51 PM
  • CF Beginner
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Posts: 6
Alternator wiring

I just did a motor swap (96 4.3l from a blazer into my 83 Montero) and am having trouble with the Alternator draining the battery with the key off. the way I have it wired now is the positive battery cable has 2 leads to the Alternator (one to the back post, the other to the plug-"F/I" pin.) I then have a wire from the check engine light to pin "L". is this wiring correct, I have replaced the alternator to ensure the one did not have a short in it and I am still having this problem.

Thank you for any information.

Thank you,
Kyle

  #2  
Old  October 12th, 2010, 7:21 PM
  • CF Junior Member
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 77
    CenTex
If you can get a pic or two of your set-up it might help. I think( and I might be wrong) your problem might be the second wire from the battery to the alternator(the one to the back post sounds right the other one I'm not too sure about). I've got a '96 S-10 with the 4.3 and I've only got one wire going from my battery to my alternator and its the charge wire with a fusible link in it.

  #3  
Old  October 13th, 2010, 2:32 PM
  • CF Beginner
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Posts: 6
I'll try and get a picture of it tonight when I get home from work, Thank you for your help!

  #4  
Old  October 13th, 2010, 9:37 PM
  • CF Beginner
    Join Date: Jul 2010
    Posts: 6
This is the wire that I had plugged into the "f/i" pin in the alternator, I have since unplugged it and the whine that I had in the alternator is gone. I will see tomorrow if there is still a draw but I have a feeling that this was the issue. does any know what this plug goes to??

  #5  
Old  October 13th, 2010, 10:58 PM
  • CF Junior Member
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 77
    CenTex
I've checked every wiring diagram I can find and the only wire that I can see that goes to the alternator is the charge wire. It's possible you may have fixed your problem with disconnecting that plug, but not being able to see where it goes I couldn't even guess as to what it goes to.


  Reply
Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors