Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevy Truck, SUV & Vans > S-10 & Blazer
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Alternator wiring

I just did a motor swap (96 4.3l from a blazer into my 83 Montero) and am having trouble with the Alternator draining the battery with the key off. the way I have it wired now is the positive battery cable has 2 leads to the Alternator (one to the back post, the other to the plug-"F/I" pin.) I then have a wire from the check engine light to pin "L". is this wiring correct, I have replaced the alternator to ensure the one did not have a short in it and I am still having this problem.

Thank you for any information.

Thank you,
Kyle
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 PM
CF Junior Member

If you can get a pic or two of your set-up it might help. I think( and I might be wrong) your problem might be the second wire from the battery to the alternator(the one to the back post sounds right the other one I'm not too sure about). I've got a '96 S-10 with the 4.3 and I've only got one wire going from my battery to my alternator and its the charge wire with a fusible link in it.

200K Miles and still pullin' like it just came out of the Showroom
Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
CF Beginner

I'll try and get a picture of it tonight when I get home from work, Thank you for your help!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

This is the wire that I had plugged into the "f/i" pin in the alternator, I have since unplugged it and the whine that I had in the alternator is gone. I will see tomorrow if there is still a draw but I have a feeling that this was the issue. does any know what this plug goes to??Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I've checked every wiring diagram I can find and the only wire that I can see that goes to the alternator is the charge wire. It's possible you may have fixed your problem with disconnecting that plug, but not being able to see where it goes I couldn't even guess as to what it goes to.

200K Miles and still pullin' like it just came out of the Showroom
Old 10-13-2010, 11:58 PM

Tags
43, 43l, 95, alternator, blazer, chevrolet, chevy, diagram, hookup, k5, s10, swap, v6, wire, wiring