S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Anti-lock system blues.

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2015, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-lock system blues.

I have a "94" S10 LS 4.3 W ext. cab and am having problems (mechanic is) with the brakes. I put lift spindles on it and had to put longer brake hoses on as the stockers were too short. I ordered some and they turned out to be wrong type so while I waited for some others the lines lost some more fluid cause I didn't get a good seal on the open lines, Boo-whoo. I think the ABS unit lost fluid and my mech. doesn't have GM tool to bleed it. The question I have is, can I remove the ABS system with it effecting the running of the truck.

He's had my truck for a couple of weeks and I have other things I want to do while the weather remains dry and warm. I'm on the north Oregon coast and we normally get at least 80 inches of rain a year. this has been a dry summer but all is due to break loose soon, we need it for our salmon runs in the 5 rivers that flow into the bay.
Old August 28th, 2015, 7:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

just take it to someone who has a scan tool that can perform an auto system bleed.
its far more work to bypass the system.

I am not sure what the system uses for front/rear proportioning and metering valves. it could very well be the abs pump that does this as newer models perform this way.

fix it right and keep it functioning as it designed to work...its a pretty important safety system. don't monkey with stuff like that.
Old August 29th, 2015, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Remember this is a "94" and an OBD I system I don't know it is as sophisticated as the OBD II, at least as far as the brakes go.
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

what does a diagnostic protocol have to do with removing a mechanical part of the braking system?

I did check for you however. the proportioning and metering valves are part of a combination valve on the mc
Old August 30th, 2015, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

The mechanic has handed it off to another mechanic for perusal (he's been wrench'n a lot longer). If he comes back and says the ABS brain is dead then it for sure gets converted, ain't no way I can afford $500.00 for a new (rebuilt) unit and that's a Rick Auto price. Hopefully he knows how to bleed the ABS and get it back to me.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:06 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you need to find a real mechanic if you ask me.I`ve used the same mechanic over 2 decades know.He never once told me he never had a certain tool for my 2001 LS Chevy Blazer.
Old September 7th, 2015, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

It's all fixed now, the first MC he put on was bad out of the box. The second one fixed it, solid pedal now. I think he took it to another mech. was that he wasn't sure the first replacement was bad. The other mech. was his second opinion.
Old September 7th, 2015, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

I was typing when you were. I'll leave the answer up, so in the future if you want to pull codes, you can. Glad you have it repaired.

A little more info. Are the ABS light, and! The brake light lit up? Both of them? A brake light lit up will cause the ABS light to light up, basic brake problem that the ABS see's as a low pressure prob. Or just the ABS light? Alone?

The 94 should be OBD1. They went to OBD 1.5 in 95. Get a paper clip and follow the instructions. And code meanings.

-> 94-95 OBD types - S-10 Forum

Last edited by locodave; September 7th, 2015 at 2:42 PM.
Old September 7th, 2015, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Never got the light save for when going through start-up routine. Now I have to get butt in gear and get front wheel lug studs replaced, paint new front fender and rad. support. Then get them put on along with new grille, bumper and head lights. Five hour energy maybe?