S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

arms and ball joints

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry arms and ball joints

I took my truck to the mechanics the other day to have the brakes changed. While driving home I realized my steering wheel wasnt sitting straight so tried to correct it while driving. As I was correcting the wheel, the car veered to the right. I took it back in yesterday to have it checked because it was not like that prior to having the brakes done. The answer I then got was "oh the ball joints and arm is really bad. i didnt realize how bad it was before until i looked at it. and because i put the truck on the lift and when i brought it down it might have shifted." could that happen if they were bad to begin with or did he mishandle my truck and is now trying to get money out of me? need help asap!!
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

im sorry. my truck is a 2004 chevy s10 LS 4x4
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here's something to check. while driving straight, apply the brake and see if the truck pulls to one side or the other more so than without brake applied. it could be a sticky brake caliper. it's possible that things may have shifted a bit, but i would think it would have been noticeable prior to shop work. you can also jack the front end up and check for any play by grabbing the tires top and bottom and wiggle back and forth. should not move. also, while in air, grab tire from front (bumper side) and back (door side) and turn it back and forth a bit while watching steering linkage and other tire. other tire should move right with it. do this slowly so you can see if the tire you are moving moves before the other. this could indicate worn steering part (idler arm, pitman arm) if not sure, take rig to reputable alignment shop and have them check everything as well. second opinions never hurt.
Old March 12th, 2010, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

thank u. i was thinking of getting a second opinion. if parts are worn and it did shift a bit, is it still safe to drive?
Old March 12th, 2010, 2:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

probably, tho i'd keep driving to a minimum until you know for sure what's going on.
Old March 12th, 2010, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

they said the problem is worn lower ball joints. is that going to cause the steering wheel to not sit straight? cause when the truck is moving straight the steering wheel sits turned to the left \. so when i try to turn the steering wheel straight the truck turns left. what caused my steering wheel to sit turned to the left instead of sitting straight up and down?