S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Somebody Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 10:11 PM
KRD
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Somebody Please Help!!!

My 93 S-10 with the 2.8L is doing the wierdest thing. I have noticed that when I start the truck for the first time of the day I have great oil pressure (around 40 Lbs) but then it will drop down to just about 0 unless the engine is reving around 2000 or more. When you are driving down the road it will increase at higher rpms but at 65 to 70 mph in 5th gear it will just hover over the 0 mark and the check gages light comes on but when you let off of the gas it will go up enough to make the light go out. Sitting at a stop light idling it will also drop out and the light will come on. It doesn't knock or clatter when it drops out and there is the correct amount of oil in the engine. Can anyone tell me what would be the culpret. I changed the sending unit that is located right next to the oil filter and still does the same thing. Is there another sending unit that controls the gage? Please Help I do not want to destroy this little truck by overlooking this.
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Next time you take your oil filter off, there is a oil pressure bypass vave on the engine block where your filter goes, try replacing it, it is about a 3 to 5 dollar part. I have been told that it is not really a neccessary part to have. take it out put the filter back on, and put oil see if there is a change in oil pressure. If not put a new in. If none of this doesn't work at all do a compression test on your cylinders. If your compression is lower than needed then you will need to replace rod and main bearings, and cam bearings.
Old July 25th, 2010, 6:11 PM
KRD
CF Beginner

I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge and the pressure is 15 psi at the lowest idle. Is this too low for idling. Trying to make it last until beginning of next year when I plan on a rebuild. Still don't understand why the pressure raises back up when you let off of the gas at cruising speed and lowers down when you resume cruising speed. Does Lucas oil stabilizer really work to raise oil pressure? I imagine some of you "old school mechanics" have seen this before and I would appreciate your input. Thanks guys for any help you can give.