S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

4 wheel actuator cable

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2013, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel actuator cable

New to the forum with a question that has me stumped. I have an 04 Blazer 4 wheel drive--black with 2 small burn holes in the drivers side carpet. Recently I tried to use the 4 wheel drive but it wouldn't engage. Switch on the firewall is ok so I pulled the battery to check the actuator. The actuator looks like it is pulling the cable and is fully compressed. I unhooked the cable and it acts like the cable is not returning to the off position. Without the actuator hooked up I can pull the cable out approximately 1" and it goes back to where it was. Took the cable off the differential and can see nothing wrong inside.. Tried to hook the actuator back up but it still acts like the cable is too long. Button lights OK, can hear the clunk from kick panel but no 4 wheel drive. It's got me stumped. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

is the transfer case engaging at the transmission..? have someone crawl under the truck and engage the four wheel drive and then SLOWLY! as this can be very dangerous ! drive forwards and back wards ! and see if the driveshaft from the transfer case to the differential is turning.

you can also try engaging the four wheel drive and the reversing about 50 feet this used to work for me.. when mine was messing up

another thing to try is to put the transmission in neutral and the just as you go to click the 4wd button slam it into park.. its not good for the truck but sometimes works if you ABSOLUTLY need fwd..
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

also will it engage in 4 hi and 4 low? or just one?
Old August 25th, 2013, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

No engagement in any shape or form. I recently removed the vacuum actuator and replaced it with a manual cable. I cannot pull it enough to extend the cable all the way. I havn't had time to play with it but will have to soon. Seems like the manual cable is binding on something. Wish there was someway to pull the differential cable out and lock it without removing the battery. I'll have to see what happens in the next few weeks. Thanks for the advice.