S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

differential shaft splines dont match?

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2008, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential shaft splines dont match?

I have a 83 blazer s10. The driver side axle shaft that plugs into the differential case has two sets of splines.The tip of the shaft has a small set of splines, they stop and there is a retainer ring. Then when the splines take off again, they arent in line with the tips splines. so when i go to plug the shaft into the differential, it only makes it to the retainer ring, since the splines block the shaft from going in all the way. any suggestions? i looked at the gear in the transfer case and it is one solid gear for the splines to slide into. i just got this vehicle. i found the shaft was not fully into the differential because i went to use the 4x4 and everything was working but the wheel wasnt spinning. Wheel is not spinning since the shaft is not engaged in the splines.

i dont know the history of thistruck so i dont know why the shaft was out to begin with. perhaps someone bought the wrong shaft at some point? i need some advice as finding this part is going to be a pain!