S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Car Shakes when braking, tried everything HELP!

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, in winters, when driving on rough frozen surfaces the bead wires inside the tubeless tires would be reshaped, which causes the tires go wobbly (since tire is not a perfect circle any more). This might be a reason for the shakes but I am not sure about it.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:14 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you replaced almost all the steering related wear items, I'd take a close look at your rack & pinion unit. Have a helper work the steering wheel back and forth and/or rock the wheels like you did, while you are under the truck and see if the tie rods at the rack are able to slop in and out.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 6:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

he said "
Went ahead and replaced Idler Arm, Center Link, Inner & Outer Tie Rods, Sway Bar Links.
"

he wouldnt have rack and pinion in that kind of setup. I m going to stick with bad tires.
Old June 7th, 2012, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

On this model, those sealed wheel bearings are known to cause this kind of problem when they are worn!
Old June 7th, 2012, 8:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will repeat this again. Anything that happens while braking is almost alway a brake problem. Just because something was replaced or turned it does not mean it is good. Could be cheap parts, turned incorrectly, turned too thin. Some part of the brakes could be sticking making the rotors or drums get hot. Improper/ un equal torque of the lug nuts can cause it. In my 15 years of working on cars only 1 time did I see it not be a brake problem per say. The truck had been in a front accident, it slide side ways for several feet then may have hit a pot hole or curb. This bent the rear axle hub causing a vibration only felt while braking. If your car/ truck was not wrecked this is not likely. Also worn out suspension parts would vibrate all the time not only while braking. Most of the time worn out parts do not cause a vibration anyways the force of the vehicle in motion will push any front wheel with a bad part out and back and will keep it there until the vehicle stops.
Old November 17th, 2016, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Ive had that problem before too, here is what it was for me. the problem is in the rear brakes. You need to first get a quart of new brake fluid and bleed your brake lines. you need to clean out all that black corrosion out of the system. I guess all that gunk makes one of the brakes stick then it pulses the fluid across to the other rear brake and it seems to cause some kind of oscillation between the two rear brakes. One way to test out if it is your rear brakes is to take your garden hose and shoot alot water up into the rear drums then take it for a quick drive .. if it isn't hanging it wont shake like it dose.. I went thru so much money and opinions finding this out that I damn near scraped my truck because of it.. but do the water test and see for your self what the guy that posted just before me said is right if it happens when you push on the brakes its the brakes