S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Convert 89 to Carb and Distributor

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert 89 to Carb and Distributor

Hi folks. I just got a 2.8 out of a Pontiac Firebird, and want to convert it to use a non-computer carburetor and distributor. Can anyone make recommendations on how to do this? I've got a carb manifold from an '88 truck, but don't want to use the carb (Varajet, I think) because it has some sort of connection for the computer. I also want to replace the distributor with something simple. Ideas?
Old July 16th, 2011, 3:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by longyard
Hi folks. I just got a 2.8 out of a Pontiac Firebird, and want to convert it to use a non-computer carburetor and distributor. Can anyone make recommendations on how to do this? I've got a carb manifold from an '88 truck, but don't want to use the carb (Varajet, I think) because it has some sort of connection for the computer. I also want to replace the distributor with something simple. Ideas?
Other than the physical issues i.e manifold ect, is electrical. You are going to have alot of electrical issues with the distributor. With that I don't think it is impossible.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 83 Durango 2.8 that came from the factory without a computer. It was built in 82. They started putting computers in, in 83. You might look around for an 82 for parts.
It is possible. But you might have to change your ignition as well. My distributor uses external coil and vacuum advance. It's wired mostly to the coil since mine doesn't have an RPM gauge.
The only thing electric on the carb is the choke. It's connected to the EFE relay which doubles as the choke relay. On computer models those are separate. The dash doesn't have a check light since there is no computer, though it has a spot for one. It has a choke light connected to the EFE relay.
My carb is a 2SE Varajet. That's probably the one you need. The E2SE has connections for the computer.
The way everything is integrated together, it would take a lot of rewiring. Not sure what year you have. Also, my vapor canister is connected to just about everything, I noticed the computer models are not.
Old August 4th, 2011, 7:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dab11999
I have an 83 Durango 2.8 that came from the factory without a computer. It was built in 82. They started putting computers in, in 83. You might look around for an 82 for parts.
It is possible. But you might have to change your ignition as well. My distributor uses external coil and vacuum advance. It's wired mostly to the coil since mine doesn't have an RPM gauge.
The only thing electric on the carb is the choke. It's connected to the EFE relay which doubles as the choke relay. On computer models those are separate. The dash doesn't have a check light since there is no computer, though it has a spot for one. It has a choke light connected to the EFE relay.
My carb is a 2SE Varajet. That's probably the one you need. The E2SE has connections for the computer.
The way everything is integrated together, it would take a lot of rewiring. Not sure what year you have. Also, my vapor canister is connected to just about everything, I noticed the computer models are not.

Hey! Thanks so much! That was a very helpful post, and I'll be looking for an 82 distributor and carb! I don't want anything with a computer, or OBD circuits.